Overweight

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had my trhr on DEC 17th I have put on a stone :-( is this usual I am being really careful with what I eat :-( am due my lthr soon and don't want to go in overweight !!! I am cycling on my stationary bike but nothing seems to be working help!!!! Xx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Oh Vaessa ... this must be very discouraging! I am at 8 weeks and actualyl lost a fair amount of weight (nausea really curbed my portions and interst in food) but I can feel my appetitie AND CRAVINGS returning. Not good. 

For what it is worth, my advice is being strict with portion size, keep treats to a couple of 'rewards' per week and drink lots of water. This 'recipe' twinned with lots of walking helped me lose 40 pounds over 4 months in the past and I kept most of it off ... Good luck and don't get too discouraged - it so hard to get back into healthy routines once interrupted by something traumatic like a THR.

• Posted

I know exactly what you mean.

I overeat when I get depressed and I get depressed because of the pain so it's just a vicious circle of eating and crying.

Had right hip replaced in October so only got half the amount of pain but due to start the process of left replacement in June and I really need to lose at least 20lbs before 

Good luck with your weight loss x

• Posted

Oh yes ... you need food to power the body to repair the 'damage' caused by the operation, trouble is you cannot exercise, so you put on weight.

I have similarly put on weight (lost 5 stone before the operation), and am now fighting to get rid of it again.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Hi vanessa,, 

I know - I don't want to know how much kilo's are added these last 14 months, just that it is a lot - very, very depressing - h

I had 1st THR March 2015 and 2nd done in September 2015 - 2 major surgeries - I was told that there is a lot of swelling, bruising around bones going on as well using muscles that have not been used for a while (in my case) - also the hardware weighs more than natural bone - 

I had to self inject Fragmin for 6 weeks (twice) and skin under belly is swollen, hard and feels bruised ... 

I am a boring sensible eater - 

I wish I could tell you something brilliant ... Unfortunately the only thing I can say is to chill - it is okay for now - you are healing from major surgery and another one you are preparing for - keep eating sensible meals, keep exercising and feel good about yourself ... 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Vanessa

Don't blame yourself for putting on a bit weight after your thr blame all your

visitors for bringing all the home baking and chocolates etc.Also I am sure

all that ironwork must weigh more than bone lol

Just keep away from all the tasty sweet things and you will be fine but when

we are not moving about as much its easy to add the weight

Take care and good luck with your next operation

• Posted

Hey

Yip l am afraid so l think l have put a stone on since my first hip replacement in dec and had my 2nd one 7 weeks ago. Am not worried l will get it back of again it just lack of excercise l think. I am not really overweight l just have what l call my winter coat still on just now. I would not worry to much l have stayed at just about 1 stone going down every now and then and back up but never more than a stone. I think l comfort eat a bit to but l plan on getting it off now l am more active and can walk again.

Laura x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.