Overweight & wheezing!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all. I have put on a lot of weight over the past 2-3 years, due mainly to underactivity due to severe joint problems. I am finding it difficult to catch my breath at times, I "wheez" a lot & get tired easilly. I have just had a chest x-ray & am due to get the results this week. My father in law had COPD & I helped look after him till he passed away in Feb '14. The COPD isn't what killed him, he had 2 types of cancer, but I now sound exactly like he did. He was on Oxygen 24/7. I am male, 65 years & 6' tall. I weigh 20st. I have had problems with swollen feet/legs for a few months & am taking meds for it, but I think some of the weight is water, although I am not kidding myself, I need to loose it & now. Does the weight make you "wheez"? I have never really been so much overweight in my life & am a bit concerned. Yes, I have seen my GP, but I would like to hear from anyone else with this problem of excess weight causing a chesty wheez. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Lee.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi I think it's because it takes more energy and oxygen to move when you are overweight and this might be why you wheeze.

Before I had copd I once went up to 14 stone (I am female).  I found that my ankles and legs swelled up alarmingly but as soon as I lost half a  stone they went back down completely and I have never had a problem since.   I was just too heavy for my frame.   That sounds like the case with you.  x

• Posted

Hi lee34449,

Of course the weight makes everything more taxing. And it can make you short of breath which may have alittle wheezing in it...but not for long...just for that moment when u are catching your breath. If you are having it all the time the wheezing may stem from COPD, or a bit of asthma, or a cold you may have or some allergies.

I am obese...at my largest I was 400 lbs. I got very short of breath just walking from my office to my car. Every thing took more effort and i knew that was my bottom. At that time I had lapband surgery and I lost 150 lbs. Everything got better...now I was what I call functionally fat. I have always been a very mobile person. But then I got Lymphedema, then cellulitis and my left leg is twice the size of my right leg. I also got Plantar Fasciitis in the heel of that same foot on that leg. Then I got COPD and Lung Reduction and so my mobility is next to nothing now and I have put on 60 lbs.

What I have learned is that everyone has a different place or weight number that they hit where they can definitely tell that this or that has changed bc of their weight. Some people can carry more weight than others. So I don't know if you are wheezing due to weight increase or lung issues. You will have go to the Dr and rule out some things. But I just wanted to share that it is a very individual thing and what happened with me. Please let us know what u find!!

Ladyjack51

• Posted

Ladyjack, that was very interesting, and I am so glad you lost the weight! 

You mentioned something about Lung reduction. I could be wrong, but did you have Low Volume Reduction Surgery?

If so, how is it benefiting you? What was the surgery like, and any complications?

I love to hear about lung reduction surgery patients, and how the surgery has helped them and in what ways. 

Also, thank you for sharing! xoxo

• Posted

Morning Lee34449

yes it can be due to wait but then it can also be the reverse I read that if we carry more weight than our frame will allow or we are under weight with resperatory disease then it can make breathing more differcult either way! Also having copd causes alot of problems with our body & mind I'm thinking whether you could have an under active thyroid the reason I say this is because having had an underactive thyroid since fom a very very young age & having a good balance for so long it's only this year I'm noticing I've put on a bit off weight & don't know if thats the prednisolon causing the weight or the copd it'self I actually think it's the medicine & medicines can cause a lot of side effects & am wandering whether     it's caused my thyroxine levels to drop as they was steady within the normal limits for quite a while  then since taking prednisolon a number of times my blood test showed my thyroid levels were quite low. It's just a thought as an under active thyroid can cause people to put weight on but then you might not have a thyroid condtion have you ever had your thyroid checked!? I hope you can get the help you need & very soon take care!x                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.