Overwhelmed by information on RA but does not fit my pattern and feeling alone and lost.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was diagnosed with RA last year, I had the worst experience of a rheumatologist, he was furious because I did not want to take methotrexate, this was thrown up with no real discussion about me and my symptoms which are not exactly text book at all. I lost my son to aplastic anaemia years ago, and some of the drugs prescribed affect the bone marrow in a similar manner, he treated me like I was a mental case. Thankfully I have a new consultant, I take hydroxychlorquine but I am so fearful of the DAMARDS, don't really want them because I don't want to feel ill. Despite odd flares I have been active, swimming and walking , helped so much, the RA despite affecting a few joints does not clearly manifest itself, feels muscular sometimes, I feel alone, lost, depressed, because I don't know what I am looking for at all. The doctor pushing for extra meds is making me ill because I need to assess what is happening and where. I am more ill with the mental stress than the actual RA and I feel completely alone.

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My profound thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond and share their experiences. My mum and I have talked so much about this and have stressed over the options. I found this forum today and I am so glad I did. As supportive as I am trying to be, I knew my mum needed to speak to people who really understand what this is like and to make her feel less alone with it. Thank you for giving your insights to us. It helps us to educate ourselves so that we can reach the best outcome for my mum.
    • Posted

Hi Gillian, glad we have all helped your mum. I felt so down and that no one understood how I felt, although everyone was very supportive. I did the same, I found the Forum and posted on it. 1 lady really helped me as I found the injections painful to do in my leg. She suggested trying to do it in my stomach, although I didn't fancy it, I did and to my amazement, didn't feel anything hardly! I was so grateful as I'd been suffering for 9 months. That's  just 1 thing. But the input and advice is priceless. Plus you can have a moan, lol. Your mum is lucky to have you, it isn't just the physical pain, but fatigue and feeling low. You have to learn to pace yourself.  I hope she finds the meds that help. It all takes time, trying different ones. You just have to be patient.  Take care. Linda.

• Posted

It is good to get things off your chest. I also find it easy to inject into my tummy. 'Pinch an inch' I can pinch a bit more than that which helps! Lol x

• Posted

Dear Janet, I know how you feel. I feel the same. I was diagnosed almost a year ago but I do not have much symptoms of classic RA and I have been searching and searching internet all over again and again trying to find similar symptoms but never found them. Doctors push on us all medications without even being sure what we have. This is medicine today. I do not know if you know site RA Warriers. It is very good one and lots of people share their experience. Pls read it and you will not feel so lonely. I hope. 
  • Posted

Dear Janet, I know how you feel. I feel the same. I was diagnosed almost a year ago but I do not have much symptoms of classic RA and I have been searching and searching internet all over again and again trying to find similar symptoms but never found them. Doctors push on us all medications without even being sure what we have. This is medicine today. I do not know if you know site RA Warriers. It is very good one and lots of people share their experience. Pls read it and you will not feel so lonely. I hope. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.