Overwhelming fear of Bell's Palsy not improving

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had Bell's Palsy for 16 weeks now.  I still cannot move my eyebrow, smile, close my eye and have difficulty speaking, especially when fatigued.  The severe pain behind my left ear and pain in my cheek has eased.  I am so fearful of it not improving or going away.  I had it on the right side of my face in 1992.  I honestly don't remember how long it took to go away, but it did.  I was left with occassional spasams in my jaw.  I find myself crying in fear anxiety and frustration.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello Valerie,

I have had Bell's palsy for 17 weeks today, and at 10 weeks, with no improvement at all I started electro stimulation once a week and after 2 weeks I had a flicker under my eye, after another week I could smile again, although my mouth is still lopsided it is progress, I am now having 2 appointments a week and working really hard to get my eyebrow working, I also still can't close my eye or blink, but I do have a small flicker in my forehead, which I take as a good sign. Before I started this therapy I thought there was no hope, but I'm amazed what difference 7 weeks have made, I know I still have a long road ahead, but I'm well on my way to recovery. Are you having any medical assistance at all? Good luck with your recovery x

• Posted

Hello michlove1985

No, I haed a medical disgnosis, but no medical assistance.  Who do you go to and how did you obtain the electro stimulation?  My son is a massafe therapist and has urged me to manually lift my eyebrow and move my cheeks into a smile.  It's difficult for me.  I'm very frightened.

• Posted

I was referred by the hospital, they tend not to send you until you've given your face a chance to correct itself, as you've had no improvement your GP or hospital consultant should be doing something for you, I was having fort nightly visits to ENT department in the first 10 weeks, before I was referred. I also have to do the manual exercises alongside my electro stimulation, my physio recommends I do it every hour, or as often as I can.

I know this is a terrifying condition, and I too was a complete wreck, I would recommend you push for some medical assistance as I myself have improved a lot in the last few weeks because of this, I really hope you begin your road to recovery really soon, and even though it's really hard for you right now, things WILL improve, just need a lot of patience, please keep in touch, I will support you as much as I can X

• Posted

Thanks michlove1985.  When I had it in 1992, I worked with a PT.  She showed me some exzercises to do.  It really helped.  However, this time, I have to move my facial muscles with my fingers as they will not budge on their own.  I guess I need to increase the frequesncy I do  it.  Thanks for your support.
  • Posted

Sorry to hear that you have it again I just got Bells Palsy again in October. Have you had any signs of improvement yet?
    • Posted

Sorry to hear you have it again as well.  No signs of improvement yet.
  • Posted

I've had it will be 5 years febuary & I haven't been able to find any doctors to help me. I can't smile 😔 I'm so depressed since I got it. I was 5 mths pregnant with my daughter and it's like I don't like to take pictures and I'm sad she will never get to see me smile the right way. I just feel so broken

• Posted

Mary,  I'm so sorry.  I feel your pain...13 weeks today for me.  Hoping for better days for both of us.

• Posted

I am making some progress, slow, very slow, but progress.  My face is in a more neutral position now as opposed to drooping.  Speaking is easier, but both drooping and speaking are affected by fatigue.  I saw my opthamologist this past week.  He outfitted me with a metal eye patch to sleep in.  He told me I had not kept my eye lublicated enough and risked untreatable damage.  May sound strange, but I love the eye patch.  I am in so much less discomfort since following his advice.  He has several patients who have perminant Bell's Palsy.  It helped me reconcile the possibility of this not going away.  I had tried to tape my eye shut with minimal success.  I'm so relieved to have this eye patch.  Over all, I am pleased to have progress even though slow in coming and minimal.  Best wishes to those who suffer.

• Posted

hello Valerie, not sure if you will see this as its been few years since you came down with bells. Ive just joined this site and find some of the discussions useful. Have you recovered now and are you well? I got bells on 24 April, so just a little over 9 weeks now. The only improvement so far is I can raise eyebrow and wrinkle forehead a little. The rest of my face is still dead! My lower eyelid has dropped and it looks like my cheek is lying around my jaw! I'm trying to be optimistic but its not easy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.