Oxycodone slow release

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been taking this medication for 4 years now for chronic and severe pain,my dosage keeps getting increased and now does not work properly unless i take my dosage earlier than prescribed,does anyone know if your medications should be switched to another form say like slow release Morphine?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi auzy.

I was exactly the same as you, tI'll I ended up on 800mg's per day. That's when I realised I had a big big problem, especially when I was taking upto 1500mgs per day at times.

Switching opiates won't do anything to be honest. Your body builds up a tolerance to opiates so you have to keep taking more & more to get the same relief. Before you know it, you have a massive problem.

Oxycontin destroyed my life!!!

Please seek advice from your GP asap before you get too dependent on them.

Good luck

Ritchie

• Posted

Also, Oxy is 2.5 x stronger than morphine so you would be on a massive amount to be on the equivalent dose as Oxy
  • Posted

Hi auzy11,

Certain opiates are absorbed differently in the body so one can substitute to a different type of opiate and receive the benefits. However, the body builds a tolerance to opiates in an incredibly short space of time. It suppresses your nervous system and changes the chemical makeup of your brain. So you could find switching meds may (or may not) give you relief at first, but it will be short lived as you continue to build up a tolerance.

Do you mind me asking what kind of pain you are experiencing? I only ask because there are other options for particular chronic pain disorders that are much more effective than opiates.

Take care smile

Nikki

• Posted

at all cost dont go to any other pain med.  dont increase ur med....ur body will always want more...was on oxy for ten years...ten year of no life,  it was all about the drug...i had a neck injury and still have crazy pain...i deal with it beacause the life I had on pain pills wasnt a life.....please,  dont use pain meds. long term...only short term use..not worth it....please
    • Posted

don,

I too spent a huge chunk of my life on codeine. 9 years. It's amazing how when your taking them you're completely oblivious to how disfunctional you really are. You think it's keeping you going. It's not until you have your head clear of opiates that you can see just how much you f*/$ed up. 9 years of my life were spent in a zombie like haze and I'll never get them back.

I'll do anything to stop just one person from going down that rabbit hole.

• Posted

so nice to see ur note nikki,  I too wish to help others understand the problems these drugs can be for you..I think people like u and me are the only ones who will really know how bad they can be.. at the end the pain i was in from the pills was more than I could handle...
    • Posted

Absolutely. I was the same. Every time I took them my stomach and intestines would leave me debilitated. I couldn't leave the house except to drag my a*! to the chemist. But still. I took them.

I hate how easily prescribed, unregulated and readily available opiates are. They destroyed my life for 9 years. They changed who I am. I'll never be the same person I was before I started taking them. I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.

• Posted

The problem is that oxy is synthetic and it gives you a high, some people become addicted to the buzz of oxy...there are people who once they build a tolerance to the buzz, feel like the medicine isnt working as they dont get the buzz anymore...it is the buzz seeking that causes oxy to be easily abused...my husband has had spinal fusions and has a painful condition called arachnoiditis, he has been on demerol, dilaudid, and even fentanyl, but now takes MS CONTIN and has for over 15 yrs, he has only had 2 bumps in dosage....i have severe chronic pain due to muliple surgeries and injuries and was started on oxy, i had kids to raise and being buzzed was not an option for me plus it wore off after 4hrs, so i was on a roller coaster of up and down pain, then i was switched to sustained release Morphine, taken 3 times a day you avoid breakthrough pain and have more consistant relief...i couldnt live with the pain so even though i am dependant on my medication, i am able to have a life and i have been on the same dosage since 2002...there is a lot to know about opioids and how they work, certain drugs take longer to work, have a short or longer half life and are excreted at different rates, it really is an issue to talk to your dr about and maybe a visit to another pain clinic as there are always new things to try...there are patches,pumps,nerve blocks, but you could try the morphine as different opioids work differently for certain types of pain and can be different from person to person....I DO NOT enjoy having to be dependent on a drug, but in my case this was the last resort and i want to LIVE LIFE, I have NO DAMAGE from the medication .....There are risks with all meds and even non narcotic meds have terrible side effects and you can overdose on, many meds need to be tapered off and while opioids are addictive, they should be used on a case by case basis with doctor supervision...sorry not meant to be a lecture, but reading other comments i added my experiences...I wish you the Best in getting your pain under control and getting your life back!!💙

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.