PA and FBC

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have not been diagnosed with PA but have been told my level for b12 is 192 (this was 4/5 weeks ago) am waiting for another b12 test to come back now to check my levels again and take it from there. I was just wondering if there a separate test to diagnose PA? Or would it if shown in FBC? (which seems to be give).

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Anything under 200 ought to be treated, do you have symptoms? Intrinsic factor is the test to find out if you have PA or not, but it is notoriously unreliable. There are other tests too that can be done. What has your GP offered to do as follow up checks? Marion 
    • Posted

So is PA a separate test from FBC?

Clammy hands (might be anxiety)

Sweaty feet/swelling feet

Loss of Weight - so frustrating I want to put on weight but can't seem to put it on. Been going on Last 3 years now.

0 appetite (Gastro symptoms) pains under my ribs - this has only happened in last two months so don't know if it's related because 2 months ago I used to have a really healthy appetite

Feeling full after smallest meals - again this is only past 2 months.

Nausea sometimes.

Sweaty feet and sometimes they swell

Shooting pains through my nerves some days it's really painful (that's all I can describe it as)

Sensitive to cold (dunno if this is because I'm underweight)

Tired all the time.

Irritable, mood swings, depression, anxiety, panic attacks but I've had this all my life and been diagnosed with BPD.

They haven't offered me anything as of yet as I've just moved surgery. My old surgery who discovered it said because I'm only 25 there undiscive about treatment and would rather just improve it with my diet as its only slightly under and wouldn't cause symptoms as my fbc shows I'm not anaemic. But my new surgery are checking my levels again and I guess we'll go from there get my results next week.

I've had a CBC, thyroid, liver, kidney, urine (protein but wasn't to concerned, no infection), all good.

Heart blood test, serveral ECGs and chest X Ray (this was because of panic attacks) and nothing!

So no idea if this is b12 or something else sad sick of having the same tests to be honest. I'm so fed up.

• Posted

Testing for P.A. is entirely separate from an FBC.

You need to ask for your "Intrinsic Factor" and "Parietal cells" to be checked

In a normal healthy person the stomach lining has what are called "Gastric parietal cells" which produce "Intrinsic Factor" which travels with food through the small intestine which is made up of three parts - the Duodenum, the Jejunum and the Ilium..

Iron is absorbed in the Duodenum, most other nutrients in the Jejunum and our friend B12 in the Ilium.

Here the Intrinsic Factor binds to the B12 and the "B12/IF Complex" enters the cells on the wall of the Ilium after binding to receptors on the surface of the Ileal cells, allowing it to enter the blood stream.

Sadly some people with "traditional P,A." either do not produce Intrinsic Factor or if they do, they also produce an antibody which destroys it and it is then called "Autoimmune Pernicious Anaemia".

In addition it can happen that we produce "Parietal cell Antibodies" and "Intrinsic Factor Antibodies" which totally wipes out any chance of absorbing the B12. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.