PAE and Monster Prostates

Posted , 2 users are following.

Has anyone had the PAE procedure on prostates larger than 200gm? If so, how was your procedure and recovery experiences and long term reduction of BPH symptoms? Were you able to get off your BPH drugs like alfuzosin and dutasteride or finasteride?

Thanks for sharing.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hmm, that is quite large. Mine was 130g and considered very large. had a PAE at UNC with Dr. Issaacson. fixed everything, got right off the drugs. Doing great 4 months later....
    • Posted

Hi Greg,

My PAE at UNC is coming up in 2 weeks now. Did you have to stop taking any drugs/vitamins before the procedure? I haven't received any instructions yet - any useful tips to help ease my jitters? Thanks.

• Posted

HI, I just wanted to give an update on my  PAE surgery, after 6 months have now past. I had a very large, 136 cc prostate that cut off urination suddenly and unexpectedly while I was traveling in Thailand.  After 30 days of catheterization, and no change in size (despite some meds) I headed to the US, and had a PAE surgery with Dr. Isaacson at UNC-Chapel Hill. I had read about him on this forum, and he had already preformed more than 50 such surgeries and was doing research. He had rave reviews here, in terms of both success and being responsive to questions.  After emailing him, he skyped with me the next day (!) and found a way to get me in within a week.  The surgery was very successful, I was able to pee freely without a catheter one week after the surgery, and now, 6 months later, all is flowing really well.  He continues to be very responsive to any questions I have (my semen flow has been weak, although I have satisfactory orgasms), and I would highly recommend him to anyone looking to deal with very larrge prostates.  Dr. Isaacson says PAE is a very good option for those with very large prostates, based on his research to date.  We still need to see long-term research (longer than 5 years), but so far, results are very promising...
    • Posted

Hi Greg,

Thanks for writing. I am very glad to hear you are doing so well and I hope it continues to improve. I had my PAE with Dr. Isaacson 2 weeks ago now. My size was 300gms with no median lobe or other complications. I had been self-cathing once a day to remove about 350ml of residual urine.

My PAE went really well. Dr, Isaacson went through my wrist radial artery and he said he easily embolized both sides and was very pleased with the results.

But I have never had any pain or discomfort after the procedure and also I have not seen any improvment in my BPH symptoms at all. I had to go back to self-cathing at night a few days ago after all the drugs wore off and my stream and frequency are still very poor - the same as before the PAE. I find this all very discouraging and am starting to look at other options like a prostatectomy. Dr, Isaacson responds to my emails of concern but does not offer any suggestions and I think he doesn't  want to deal with me any longer since the PAE was a technical success. So I am quite unhappy and worried again.

Neil

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.