Pain 5 weeks post-op. Advice/experiences, please--I'm so depressed.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had my right ovary/tube & a dermoid cyst removed from my right side. On my left side I only had the tube removed, so my ovary is still intact. The surgery was laparoscopic. This past weekend, I was on a short road trip, but in a truck, so it was rather bouncy. Plus, it's high off the ground, so I have to step up quite a bit to get in. Since then, I have been having pain on my left side--the side that still has the ovary.  Could this just be from overdoing it, or perhaps from all of the jostling in the truck? It's not constant pain--certain positions/movements bring it on--like when I'm stretched out in bed or twisting to get something. I'm also tender now, as I went to a walk-in care clinic yesterday to have it checked out, and the doctor was pushing on the sore areas (looking for a hernia or other issues.) He couldn't find anything--thinks it may be muscle related.  I'd have to have testing/imaging to pursure this further.

Has anyone else dealt with any pain/tenderness at this point during recovery?  Before this trip I was at my 4 week mark and starting to finally feel good and normal again.  I had just finished my first period (which was very heavy/painful, due to D & C for polyps that was done during the time of surgery.) That 4 week mark was the first time I finally felt pain-free. I'm worried and depressed and scared of more testing. I'm also worried because I only have the one ovary left and am scared there's something wrong.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It's only five weeks. Whilst a laparoscopy may seem an easy option,the work inside removing the ovary, tubes and cyst is quite a bit for your body to cope with and isn't by any stretch a minor operation.

Ater all the exertion, bouncing about, and especially stretching to get up and down the steps, it's no wonder you're feeling sore and achey.

I had the same surgery in April, and it was months before I stopped getting weird sudden pains and had a bruised feeling.

Try to take it a bit easier for a while, and accept that it can take longer than you think to be back to normal, which I'm sure you will be soon.x.

• Posted

Thank you for responding and making me feel better. The hardest thing about all of this is that I look fine outwardly, and people just don't understand how I feel on the inside. They think I'm being dramatic or worrying for no reason. That really couldn't be further from the truth--I just want to feel normal again and go about my daily routine without worrying about bending the wrong way or lifting a bag of groceries out of my automobile.

• Posted

Hi. It's early days yet and you've probably overdone things going on that trip in a truck. I was told 4 weeks to recovery back in April, no way!!! Outwardly I'd healed well, stitches coming off and bruising gone. Inside, who knows what's happening. I felt sore and achy for ages and very tired. I had salpingo oophrectomy and cyst removal. Some of us take longer than others to heal and it depends on our age too. Just take things easy for awhile now and see if you feel better in a few days. If not I think you should see your doctor again for a checkup. Did you have a post op checkup? Best wishes. x rolleyes

• Posted

Thank you for responding. It does make me feel better that I'm not the only one who has had these pains. I did have a post op appointment at about 2 1/2 weeks past. Everything looked good, and I was given the "all clear" for everything. I just don't think that 2 weeks is long enough to recover from having so much done. I'll be 44 in a few months, so not old, but not super young. I really wish that doctors would hand out realistic guidelines for recovery and activity, based on physical fitness level, age, etc. It would save a lot of women from worry and depression.

• Posted

Hi Monique. We are all different in the rate we heal but I agree. We don't get enough info on after care for gyny surgery here in UK. It's probably the same elswhere too. This website as a wealth of info though and it's worth having a look round it for that reason. Click on Womens Health at the top of this page, lots will come up if you keep scrolling. Don't worry what others think, it's you who matters at this time. Hope you have a supportive family to help out until you feel really well. It's important to rest now, if you feel bad you've probably overdone things. We have to listen to our bodies and act on what it tells us! Take care. x rolleyes

• Posted

Hi Monique it sounds like you probably have overdone it and used muscles you haven't used for a bit. I would just take it easy, I had an oophorectomy and cyst removal last April and I still get the odd twinge inside, and my scar (I have a full caesarian type incision) occasionally will really itch and feel very uncomfortable. I had 6 weeks off work but was then still a bit tired but I'm well into my 40's and have a busy life so not surprising.Just be kind to yourself, it will all still be settling down inside. If you do have pain which is continual and severe then you should get it checked . Take it easy!

• Posted

I had my tubes and both ovaries removed because of multiple cysts on both ovaries. My doctor also found extensive amounts of scar tissue which he had to remove in order to find my ovaries. I am going on my 3rd week and feeling pretty good, just a little tightness. I never did take the narcotics as I did not have too much pain. However it is a bit uncomfortable maybe because we are still healing and the swelling. The doctor did say no heavy lifting, pushing or pulling for 8 weeks. So maybe you overdid it. Just try and take it easy, but be sure to walk. Remember you may look great on the outside but your insides may still be a little raw.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.