Pain after 14 weeks

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have more pain and have since my surgery than I did before the surgery. Has anyone had a lot of cntinuous post op pain; but eventually did get better? Infection has been ruled out and x-rays show good position. A muscle tear has not been ruled out; but surgeon is not in a hurry to do so.

Thanks, Barb

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I wish he WERE in a hurry to diagnose your soft tissue problem. Perhaps you could see a different orthopedist for the diagnosis. Any ethical, good physician would want to help you and figure out the source of your continued pain and then give you proper treatment. Why let you languish like this, hurting? It's so wrong, Barb!
    • Posted

Thanks once again, Annie. I am calling to get a second opinion from an orthopedist at a big medical center. This is absurd. I hope you are sleeping better and that you have a date for your surgery.😀

Warmest Wishes,

Barb

• Posted

Wow - very sorry that you have been through all this and having more pain! Unfortunately this happens (see Graham's tale of woe; ditto others).

If position and infection have been ruled out and you are worried about a muscle tear, I wonder if the orthopedic surgeon is the right professional to help. Perhaps others who work more with soft tissues would be more helpful. There are several posts about muscle tears - perhaps browse through the discussions if you don't hear back from others soon.

Good luck Barb. I hope this gets resolved soonest.

xxx 

• Posted

Linda,

I sent you a response and then got an error message. Not sure if it went thru. I am fnally going to get a MARS MRI to see if I have a torn muscle.

Thank you for responding.

All the Best,

Barb

• Posted

Good luck Barb. Nothing is simple is it? I hope the MRI will ring clarity to tell situation.

Best,

L

• Posted

I'm 4 months post op. RTHR - I still have aches, pains, jolts of electricity, numbness, and also, knee and lower back pain. I think we're all different when it comes to our tolerance level when it comes to pain. Did you go to physical therapy to work on the muscles and get some range of motion back? There were times I thought I had an impingement of my acetabulum, and then I thought one leg was longer than the other.. and my mind was in overdrive worrying about the pain and aches. Even now. If the pain is that unbearable, you should hold your surgeon's feet against the fire. Find an advocate in the public health system, even social workers know a lot of tricks to getting things done.I hope it's not a tear... but please get it checked. 
    • Posted

As of a half hour ago, my surgeon has cme thru. I am having a MARS mri to see of there is a torn muscle. I feel much better that this is being pursued.

Thank you for responding. I hope that you are soon free of pain. 

Barb

• Posted

Hi barb, 

Oh dear, that is so discouraging and disappointing, isn't it - I have that too, both THR's - 

The good thing is that there is no infection and the hardware is placed correctly .. Maybe it trochanteric pain, inflammation of the bursa?  I have that right now and it is painful ... however, to be honest, it is a different pain - NOT OA pain - but painful nonetheless - 

Do you have physical therapy?  

so sorry barb - as a reminder: it is major surgery and 14weeks is still early in recovery and healing -

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Rennee,

Actually I had my trochanteric bursa removed with my THA as it has been an issue for me. My surgeon has come thru as of this morning; will get a MARS mri to see if there is a torn muscle.

Thanks so much for your kindness and I hope that all will be well soon for you.

Barb

• Posted

👍Happy for you darling. ...

wishing you peace of mind

angel blessings

renee 💙

• Posted

A second opinion is needed. I don't think it is right that you are left in pain after 14 weeks. I still have muscle soreness, I had a fall so think it is just healing, but if it continued I would want some answers....and I would suggest you maybe consider seeing someone else? 

Particularly as you describe the pain as being worse than before surgery, that can not be right. I hope they work out what is wrong and you can let us all know how you are getting on.

The surgeon may not be in any kind of hurry but this is your life ticking by!! Hmmm....I am sure he would be in more of a hurry if it was happening to him or someone close to him. Get on the phone on the Barb is my advice! 

• Posted

Meant to say get on the phone Barb! iphones and this forum do not mix!!!
    • Posted

Rose,

My surgeon came thru this morning.  I will have a MARS mri next week that I have been asking for to see if I tore a muscle. My pain has consistently been in a very specific location. Thanks so much for your input.

All the Best,

Barb

• Posted

Hi barb

I'm 14weeks post op. My hip doesn't hurt as much as before but I'm having problems with my foot and its holding my progress up. I just wished I could get it sorted and try to walk correctly. I keep trying to find someone to understand and be able to talk to.  Doctors don't seem to bother so I have gone to a private physio.

Dont get dispondant and keep improving

Brenda

• Posted

I just made an appt. with an orthopedist at a large medical center. I really think I tore a muscle. I need to a new set of eyes and ears not to mention expertise.

Thanks for your response. I hope you can get your foot issues resolved.

Barb

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.