Pain after 2 years??

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had a total hip replacement just over 2 years ago.  Everything went very well.  Until the last few months when I have found that I have pain in the new hip when I walk.  It ease off with pain killers but.....kinda concerned.  Have had to stop my gym classes and am once again looking at going up stairs with horror.

Anyone else had this experience please?   Don't really want to go back to the orthodod but........

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Sorry you are now having pain. Are you doing anything differently as far as work, exercise or jumping out of planes? I would be concerned enough to make an appt with your surgeon.
    • Posted

Nothing different, but wonder if heavy shopping and even heavier luggage has done the damage.  I have full movement in the hip so am pretty confident that the joint is okay......soft tissue damage is the answer I reckon but plan on getting an X Ray.   Just to be sure.   Thank you.
  • Posted

HI Jan

Some of us hippies seem to experience all the ups and down of sever hip pain even years after THR. I have been thru the same ting had 3 THR. the pain you describe could be a # of things .srry if this gets long as there is no easy explination in my experience. 

Fist I would like to say that I totally sympathize with you. 

Wonder if you had a recient X-ray. I went to other Drs. for pain evaluation many time after THR. Each dr did X-ray nothing wrong perfect surgery. So why was I in so much pain? I think in this case just a matter of over doing. After a MRI soft tissue damage was found.

After a year I decided well we were told we could resume our normal lives. This is a myth in my experience. Bending like gardening,cleaning house, twisting, or horseback riding all my fav hobbies even my job (as I had to lift and carry heavy books) was not the way to go. 

Eventually I had to give up a few things, lifting anything heavier than 8 # or twisting motions or pushing things like the vacuum were all what I dropped for a few months. 

Went back into therapy. Worked on back, hip and tendons strengthening.

especially core muscles. Had tiny tears on the tendon.A year later I could live with little to no pain. It took me 2 years to get back in shape but never to where I was before the surgery.

I was in my 40's very active then. Basically I had to adjust to my limitations living with a hip prosthesis. I was grateful to not be in severe pain before surgery, just had to find the cause of the pain I was then experiencing after THR and get thru it the best way possible. 

The 2nd THR went well for the fist few weeks, again I realized I was 15 years older and had a lot of work to do until my hip was recalled by the manufacturer. This I never wish on anyone. It has been a challenge for sure.

My best advise is do what is best for you. Ask for options open to your individual circumstance. Walk more less sitting during this time the bone is growing into the prothesis to stabilize the implant. This takes time. THR is difficult and I am sick and tired of everyone who has not been thru it saying to me well so and so had THR and they are back running a triathlon. The misnomer around this surgery is since we can walk again that your body is the bionic woman. Not true it takes at least 2 years to recover completely.Everyone is different. Many things tend to be in the mix of what exactly are the pain issues in most cases.

Dont give up. Reach out for an X-ray to be sure it's nothing structural with the implant. Then try therapy. Also ask for a nuecular MRI to check for tissue damage. Sometimes it just takes time and patience & rest. No one wants to be in constant pain. Or feel like their lives are altered forever.

It doesn't have to be that way. 

I have learned to be mindful of my movements and how I do things I order to stay strong and adjust my expectations of the things I can do. 

I sincerely hope hope that your journey thru this will be short lived and your back to living without pain soon.

H4C

• Posted

Thank you so much.. I think this helped and will help alot of us
    • Posted

Thank you. You have calmed my anxiety. As always it's so much more reassuring when there are others in or have been in the same situation. I sooo very much appreciate you taking the time to offer such a thorough and encouraging response.
  • Posted

So many of us have been thru so much with this disease. I know how stressful this can be and bring on so much anxiety that can add to the pain & symptoms of this disease. My docter also in my younger years added a anxiety drug which really helped calm my anxiety. At the time with a family a job it was very overwhelming. 

Pleased to hear this has given you some peace. Just made me smile.confused

• Posted

Hi Jan, 

Oh, that doesn't sound so good - especially dreading go up the stairs .... 

I am sure that you are concerned --- only thing I can say is to make an appointment with ortho department - get new x-ray and see if the hardware is in place and healed ...you know, just to have peace of mind - 

after one year post-op from 1st THR I have been diagnosed with trochanteric bursitis - back to the drawing board, or so it feels - 

do it darling and let us know how you are getting on ..

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Can only reiterate what others have said , most likely cause is doing / lifting too much but best to get it checked with an x ray. Hope all is ok when you do - let us know how you get on xx
  • Posted

Please don't say this!!
    • Posted

It's OK Annie,

You like many of us hippies have experienced many ups and downs thru the heeling process. I had to learn to be patient. Wait, rest, &  listen to my body, as this will come to an end soon. I promise. 

I am hopeful that ur experiencing the many growing pains of coping thru THR surgery. Take one day at a time.

Best to you and gentle hugs. confused

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.