Pain after Anal Advancement Flap surgery, and injection

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I wonder does anyone have experience of these two procedures which I had done 3 weeks ago - Fissurectomy, anal advancement falp and injection for piles.

I was unable to sit down for 2 weeks and now a week later I have agonising pain from the interal sphincter in spasm that feels very much like the pain from the fissure only 10 times worse

Is this normal ? I have seen my surgeon who says that the pain will change. It has to some gegree as the pain from the surgical wounds has now almost disappeared, but this internal pain is almost unbearable - even with taking tramadol and codeine !

Does anyone have any experience of this and any indication of how long this might take to heal and pain subside ?

Many thanks

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

I started with an anal fissure on the 31st May 2008 after surgery to remove anal skin tags. I have never experienced pain like it in my life, even child birth was a doddle in comparison. After months of pain and a botox injection which did nothing to help I went back into hospital for surgery.

I had anal advancement flap surgery, more botox a sigmoidoscopy and inernal pile removal on the 10th December 2008. I was in agony for 5 weeks, not being able to sit down, work, or drive, christmas and New Year were the worst ever as I couldn't do anything and felt so ill from the pain. Into my 6th week things started to improve the pain after a bowel movement got easier and lasted 2 or 3 hours rather than 10+. Come the middle of April I could finally go to the toilet without any pain whatsoever, and have been almost pain free ever since. I do have the odd day when I go to the loo and it hurts and I can feel uncomfortable for a while afterwards but nothing compared to the agony I was in before the surgery. Give it time and i'm sure things will start to improve. I do hope so as I sympathise with you xx

• Posted

I don't know if you still visit this forum, but I had an advancement flap 6 weeks ago and am still in agony. 

How long does it take to start to get better??

• Posted

Hi Ojh3.. Im booked in for advancement flap surgery in 4 weeks time :-/ so scared! whats it like?? did it work for you??
    • Posted

Hi Abi1717,

dont be too scared. I won't lie, it's not a nice operation, but it the most painful. I had a hemmorhoidectomy which was far worse pain wise.

i don't think my flap has worked. I have to go back into hospital for an EUA to see what's happening. The recovery for me has been very very slow.

you should plan on taking at least 6 weeks off work to give yourself the best chance of healing.

any other questions.... Feel free to ask!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I'm in so much pain now il try anything. I'm more worried about being put to sleep than the atcual operation which sounds silly. Yeah I'm going to take off 8 weeks atleast. My work have been really good about it. How do you care for the wound after? My dr told me I can't get it wet? Any tips? Abi 
    • Posted

I was just told not to have a bath. 

After a bm I don't wipe, I just sit over the edge of the bath and use the shower to shower off. I then dry the area with a hair dryer on a cool setting. I found this was the best way to clean myself.

dont worry about being put out.... That's the best bit... The relaxant they give you before the anaesthetic is lovely.......

8 weeks off sounds realistic. You are lucky to have such understanding employers!

• Posted

Yeah that's a good idea. Il do that to clean :-) did you go home the same day? I have a long ride home after. dreading having to sit straight on the wound after. 
    • Posted

No I didn't. I went home a couple of days later. My CRS likes to keep people in and bed rested for a couple of days.

i live 3 1/2 hrs away from the hospital. I just put the front passenger seat down flat and led across the back seats with my legs across the flattened front seat. I also had pillows and a blanket for the journey home.

im sure if you do it that way you'll have no problems... You can sleep all the way home. You can still put a seat belt around you in the back seat.

my CRS told me not to sit for the first two weeks. ( I don't think I sat for about 5!!!!) 

• Posted

Aw that's good. I'm hoping I can stay in after mine. Eventhough they said it's only day surgery and I go home the same day. Think I'd rather just sleep and have painkillers given to me constantly. 
  • Posted

Hi Is anyone that has already posted about. or has also had advancement flap surgery for a chronic anal fissure able to update on how they got on (both soon after and/or whether after months/years the fissure remained healed or came back ? My daughter has had 2 surgeries and it looks like the flap is her only option (more surgery sad  ) It just seems that everyone has had such pain post op. Any advice,comments,experiences would be helpful - thank you D
  • Posted

Has anyone more recent experience of this procedure (anal advancement flap) and could comment on indications or likilihood of infection?

Had the procedure done a week ago and can't believe how painful it has been since.  Just as I feel it is starting to improve, seems to set back again.

Sadly received no advice re post-op treatment before I was discharged from day surgery (now wish I had taken them up on an over-night stay so I could get more information, although ward staff seemed a bit in the dark!).

• Posted

Hi Tinkerbell321.. I had the advancement flap surgery 6 months ago. I got an infection which wasnt a surprise due to the area it was located in so was on antibitoics for the magority of my healing time. I wasnt able to go back to work for 5 months as my stitches did not disolive until the end of this time and I ripped my wound open twice. The pain does get easier trust me!! Definatly eat small portions and take movicol everyday as this will help. I ripped myself by sitting on the toilet so try and squat or stand in the bath if possible and use the shower head to clean the wound. I was off all pain meds after about 3 weeks so stick with it. I was sent home the same day and had no after care aswell. Unfortunity my fissure has returned as soon as my wound has healed but no where near as chronic and so much easier to manage. Once your stitches have disolved use coconut oil.. its a life saver!! will heal your wound perfectly!! smile
    • Posted

Hi Abi

Thanks for your comments and advice.  I'm pleased to hear that things have improved for you but surprised (and very disappointed) to learn how long healing time took.

Apart from the constant pain, I'd also noticed the discharge/seeping had increased so I tried to make a Dr appointment today but couldn't get one, so booked to see the nurse.  She then had to get the Dr to examine me and, yes, surprise, surprise, I've got an infection so am on a double dose of antibiotics!  The nurse hadn't had experience of this operation before but was as helpful as she could be - I'm seeing her again on Tuesday just so she can check if things are improving.  They seem to think that because it's not been healing properly, it will now have to heal upwards (whatever that means!).   Until I saw the nurse today I wasn't even aware that I had external stitches - I thought the area had been stapled!

On the advice of the nurse I have contacted the consultant's secretary who has booked an appointment for me to see him in 3 weeks time (rather than the six + weeks my discharge paper said). 

I feel it is such a shame post-op advice wasn't given and I will be having a word with the consultant when I do see him, although I think he feels I am just being negative.   I had anal dilation and lateral sphincterotomy surgery at the beginning of March this year and I had been told I needed to use a proctoscope once healing had started.   The consultant said I would be told how/when to use this when I had the surgery.  This just didn't happen and, try as I might (and I did try - the hospital Day Care Unit, the nursing staff, his Secretary and my GP), I could find no-one to advise me which resulted in the need for a flap. 

One thing I will say is thank goodness for Movicol.  Don't know how it works but it does and that is a real blessing!  Will get some coconut oil ready for when I need it.

Thanks again for your response.

Regards

• Posted

Hi tinkerbell

Glad I could help. I was completely lost during my recovery as like you said there is absolutely no after care and no one seems to know anything about the surgery. I think that's why I took so long to heal. One doc told me not to have baths and another told me that having salt baths would heal my stitches quicker. Trust me salt baths were lush. It's a shame my fissure has come back but it only comes for a couple days then disappears for a while so it's defiantly worth having the op.

Hope you heal quickly xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.