Pain after hip replacement

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi all sorry I keep posting. I was wounding how much till the pain goes away from the replacement. I found it really difficult getting out of bed this morning I burst into tears to be honest now i wish I never got it done. They only tablets they have gave me are dispersible aspirin and paracetamol. It's only been a hate since I've got home i thought that it will get better as the days go on.

Any advice

Thanks

Megan

1 like, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Only been a day since I've been home*

• Posted

Morning Megan.

The day they let me out of hospital was the worst tbh, took me 25 mins to get from the car to sitting in the house! Sick, dizzy, faint, I felt terrible and the first 2-3 days were quite difficult, but within a week I felt loads better. Stick in there I promise you it's worth it!

All the best

Graham.

• Posted

Hi graham

Tbh with you i wished I stayed in hospital I have brought my painkillers up so I am so much pain all I am doing is crying. I really did find it difficult to get in a car it was a nightmare. Thank-you

Megan

• Posted

Hi Megan. It was about a month for me. I went thru the feeling too that I wished I'd never had it done but it only lasted for a day or two. One day you realise hey, that dragging feeling in my bums gone! Hang in there. Its worth it! Karen x

• Posted

Hi Karen.

I have woke up feel like sh*t to be honest with you. Been sick as well now I am thinking why did they let me out of hospital. I already fed up its only been 6 days and one day since I got out of hospital. Thank-you for comment!. They had me on morphine tablets morning and night they helped me a lot.

Megan x

• Posted

You will come right Megan. Its only been 6 days and its a major operation! I remember still feeling groggy a week later from the anaesthetic! My other hip was just as bad so it was hard to get onto my bed with one bad hip and one new hip lol. I can laugh now but at the time I felt I'd never get better. I'm going for my next op in a weeks time so I have to go through it all over again. But its so worth it. You'll be fine. X

• Posted

Just had to comment about the one bad hip and one new hip and being so difficult to get onto the bed....I am in the same boat....10 weeks post op and getting another hip in less than two weeks.....It took me a couple of weeks before I could get in or out of my bed on my own, without assistance....it was rough....
    • Posted

Hi Karen.

How many weeks does it take to get back to been ok again? I wish you all the bed for the surgery xx

• Posted

Takes a bit of time after all it's a big operation, perhaps you can get stronger pain relief from GP. It will get easier give it  couple of weeks and do as surgested by hospital and hang in there.  It really is worth it .

Lorna x

• Posted

I can't manage to get to my GP to far a walk. My mum is going to phone them and ask them. They gave me morphine tablets morning and night they helped. Thanks for your comment!

Megan x

• Posted

Hi Megan.

I'm a bit surprised they have only sent you out with aspirin and paracetamol! They gave me codine to come home with. I believe one of the boxes you have to tick at the hospital to get sent home is to come off the morphine but if you contact your GP he might prescribe you some to help with your pain.

The first days are the hardest it does get easier. Hang in there.

Graham

• Posted

Hi graham.

I ended back up in hospital a few days after that post, as I had really bad swelling and they weren't happy but now I am 4 weeks and 2 days post op and doing great. I have cut down on my painkillers, start college next week too, no swollen anymore, I do my exercise about 3-4 times a day and go for walks a lot. I have physio once a week, I am still on crutches though, but I can get in and out of bed my self, I don't need any assistances for anything anymore!!.

I am definitely ready for my other hip to get replace!

Hope your well

Hugs

Megan x

• Posted

Hi Megan,

I was exactly the same. I was very sick when I got home from hospital. The first few days were very difficult with lack of sleep, nausea, pain and the only pain killers I could take were paracetemol as others made me ill. It does get better even though I thought I would never get there. I am now almost 3 weeks post op. Am virtually off all pain killers, sleep is getting better, I am walking over 6000 steps a day. Hang in there. Keep exercising. Rest when you can. One day at a time. Sending you lots of good wishes. X

• Posted

Hi there

Thank-you for telling me your experience I really appreciate it this form is great as I know I am not lone. That's great am happy for you hopefully I'll be in less pain in a few weeks. I've not had an big op since I was 12 so not used it even only I have only turn 18. Are you walking with crutches?.

Thank-you

Megan x

• Posted

Hi Megan,

Yes, this forum is great. It was a life saver for me in the early days when I felt that I was getting nowhere and wishing I hadn't had it done. It took 2 1/2 weeks but feel I am starting to see the light at the end. I walk with both crutches outside, one crutch indoors and have just started to walk around a room without a crutch. Still can't lift my operated leg up more than couple inches so getting in and out of car is still very painful. I wasn't prepared for the slog of recovery but am gradually feeling the benefits. I hope you find some pain relief that works for you. Thinking about you and wishing you well. Xx

• Posted

Totally agree with you!.

Glad your getting there that's good each day it make your stronger!. I can put full weight on my operation leg after 6 weeks but it's quite difficult to walk as I got my right hip replace and sprained my right ankle. Went into hospital for a hip replacement and come out with a new hip and a sprained ankle lol. I can only lift my leg a wee bit. It will get easier for you, I was crying the first time trying to get into the car it was hell for me. Really happy that your starting to feel the benefits.

Thank-you

Hope your well thinking about you too xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.