Pain after MUA

Posted , 11 users are following.

I had MUA four weeks ago followed by physical therapy three times a week. The pain is much worse than it was before MUA and,although I did gain some movement straight up, I lost movement with rotation. That seems to get worse the more I work on it. Has anyone else experienced these problems following MUA? If so, what did you do? Is there more surgery involved?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had MUA 14 Oct. Just after Christmas the muscles stopped really hurting. It now lets me swim. Back stroke recommended only. About 5 lengths. It does take time. My consultant said perhaps more surgery. My physio said cortisone. I said no to both. I see a fantastic massage lady who moves it. She is better than my physio. We r all different. It is amazing how much pain u get from almost wasted muscles. It's like an onion. Peeling back the layers slowly. ...

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. We'll keep chipping away at it. Hopefully I will see some real results soon.

• Posted

Hi Connie, I have received MUA 3 times (×2 left side x1on right side, received physiotherapy after each, still have pain and it started in 2013. I went back to see the consultant and he refered me back to physiotherapy. The physio seems to think that I need MUA again on the right shoulder. It seems to me that in the end it's down to time to heal. Pain relife doesn't work or does physio.Sorry that I can't offer any light at the end of the tunnel.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I guess I will just have to be patient. I was hoping for a magic bullet!
    • Posted

Hi, I had capsular release with mua 8 weeks ago and I am still in a tonne of pain. I wake up every 3-5 hours and have to stretch, take Tylenol use tens machine to get back to sleep. I am making progress but external rotation is extremely tight and painful. I can push to about 40-45 degrees but it's excruciating! I long for the day of no pain, but this is my third surgery on the shoulder. It took five months for the pain to stop after the other surgeries.

• Posted

Wow. That's sounds exactly like what I am experiencing. I wish I had found this site before the MUA or that my doctor had been upfront about pain following surgery. I probably would not have had the procedure. I wish you the best.

• Posted

Hi Lesser Tuberosity... I also had mine approx 8 weeks ago and still in pain.. also cannot get comfortable to sleep and do not sleep on my back ever...made progress but as I told Connie my insurance starts over due to new year and I cannot afford the Pyhsical therapy  treatments so I am working with the exercises they gave me...I hope it gets easier with time. My ortho said 3-6 mons before i see any relief...so we shall see. 

• Posted

Hi! Connie.. I had my MUA procedure on Nov, 22...I agree pain is worse then before surgery but I do have much more range of motion.. My bicep muscle is killing me.  My ortho told me that it would take at least 3-6 mon before any true relief..I still cannot reach behind my back or extend my arm from the side of my body up to sky..I stopped Physicl therapy as my insurace is back to 80/20 and my portion is around 200. per session I dont have that kind of money stiiting around so I am doing all the exercises they did while I was there until the end of Dec. I go to the doctor on wed. jan 18 so i shall see what he says. not what i was expecting at all..upset over pain and loss of motion.. keep in touch,,,

• Posted

Good morning Dara  Im new to this side but im so glad I find this my MUA is coming on  Feb.03 but after reading all the post Im very become so scare about this and even thinking to cancel. I have frozen sholder before but after cortizone shots and exesice i was back to normal this time is different more pain sleepless night .I was hoping the surgery will help and the pain will go away and I will be doing better my doctor told me I can go back to work after couple day but seem like everyone here stay home for more then couple weeks now im not sure what to do .. if you now all that what happen after the surgery are you still go ? 
    • Posted

Hi. ..I had a MUA on 14 October last year. Consultant gave me Cibelex 300. Great drug. I took it for a month. The pain afterwards was less than a frozen shoulder. He said he got all movement back. What hurt was the muscles that had to be stretched. I am back to the gym. Doing pilates. Swimming about five lengthespecially. Back stroke only. Consultant threatened another Op. I said no. We r all different. U have to do the exercises and be patient. I was nervous. But it have no pain. It doesn't like the odd exercise

• Posted

Hi! Iwona would i do it again.. yes i would because i now have more use of my arm/ahoulder then before.. FS was at least a year before I decided to go to doc.. After MRI I had a partial tear to my rotator cuff on top of the Capsuilitis and so out of the four muscles of the rotator cuff i had issues with three..My surgery was Nov. 22 i can tell you it was rough but if you do the excersies follow pyhsical therapy instructions it does get better.I have swelling in my lower arm right above my wrist. My ortho said that is to be expected and will subside with time, which it has.. I was out of work for 6 weeks..MY bicep muscle as atrophied so I am working to build it up as that is the only pain I have right now.. so yes I would do it again.
    • Posted

Hi Dara,

I understand what you mean about the PT costing so much. I don't know anyone who can afford that! Fortunately for me, my co-pay went down, otherwise I would be in the same boat.after the MUA, I have better movement to the front, but if I manage to lift my arm to shoulder height from the side, that is a good stretch. I still have no movement behind my back and very little external rotation. I go back on Feb. 2. I will keep you posted. I hope your doctor visit went well.

• Posted

yes it did.. Thanks they are pleased with my progress and they tell me pain will get less and less... Doctor said about 6 months maybe longer but I plow on..!! good luck with your doctor too...
  • Posted

I am 7 weeks post opt today! I still have pain but I still would say it's better then before surgery! Does anyone else have most the pain in there neck! When I do the exercises my neck still seems to take the brunt of me lifting my arm up? Is anyone else experiencing this? My pt says it's normal to still be in pain at 7 weeks! I think the horror of FS is getting lost in our memories a little! When I'm down about my pain or movement I stop and really remeber what it was like when it was frozen! It's def better then that!

• Posted

Hi Allison,

I am also experiencing pain in my neck. My PT noticed the tightness in my neck today while I was doing one of the strengthening exercises and worked with my neck muscles also. I immediately was able to lift a little higher and the pain radiating down the back of my arm into my elbow went away completely. He gave me neck exercises to go along with the shoulder exercises. It might be an idea to ask your PT about them.

I am still having major problems with external rotation so if anyone has suggestions for things that worked for them I would be grateful.

• Posted

Hi...my neck was a problem because I had spent 5 months sleeping on just one side

...I have still have tight muscles but post MUA in October I'm slowly improving ....

• Posted

For me what help was lying flat on my back and making the stop position! Bending at elbow and trying to push back of hand to bed! I had my husband force that position for the first 5 days after surgery then continued to try to achieve that! Try pushing up while someone is gently putting pressure down! Then release! Once I was close I used the elastic fitness bands to work it out externally to build the musle up so I could start moving it that way on my own!
    • Posted

Hi...That sounds like Surrender as my consultant calls it....amazing what is painful as first then becomes easy...I'm doing pilates again after a break...great arm workouts...my downward dog in yoga is more like creeping dragon...keep going...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.