Pain after packing removal

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, I had my surgery 3 weeks ago and was finally pain free after a week but had my packing removed today with the need of some suction and the deep inner ear pain is back.

Is this normal? Feeling pretty down about the pain back again.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Well, first of all, you still can't get ANY water in your ear, two it's still very sensitive.

I'd still protect my ear with cotton balls in it and cold is funest for the fragile eardrum in this stage. Keep you ear warm. When you have NO protection i wouldn't be surprised if you've got pain. It can still get easily inflamed or infected. Your ear is in way batter state after 2 months after surgery, most likely then you'll be able to shower again, depending your recovery. Be still utmost careful with your ear and keep it protected.

• Posted

Yes I haven't removed the cotton ball once it was just extreme ear ache but I do think it was the suction that did it. It's a little better today.

• Posted

Hmm if it hurts so much, watch whether there's no infection. For me I didn't have much pain after it was removed. I did need protection afterwards, because once it started to hurt a lot more so I became afraid and used ibuprofen and took it easy and kept my ear warm. I did have an infection after the packing was removed though and quite some drainage.

So there was a very minor perforation in my eardrum and an infection after the removal. It's way better now, however, still plenty of fluid in my ear.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.