Pain after steriod injection

Posted , 2 users are following.

diagnosed with RA 8 months ago after having palindromic rheumatiod for 11 years.

i am on leflunomide which seems to be working ok over the last few weeks but been having severe groin pain MRI scan revealed a labral tear on my right hip which was very inflamed and causing leakage of fluid causing a cyst.

seen a orthapedic surgeon 6 weeks ago who arranged a steriod injection in the hip to diagnose if the tear was causing the pain.

whist waiting for the injection the pain did start to settle a bit and I was coping ok as previously I couldn't  even weight bare without sharp electric pain shooting down my thigh, dull ache constant in my groin I've never experienced so much pain and having RA I can normally deal with pain.

i eventually got the injection today and I'm so sorry I have had it done because that excruciating pain has instantly come back within an hour of having the steriod injection.

was just wondering if anyone else with RA has had or has a labral tear and had this experience from the steriod injection.

ive looked online and found that some people have had worse pain following the injection but not found anyone with a labral tear that has RA.

any help please 

I am a 39 year old female 

many thanks 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nichola;  I have been hoping someone else may have more knowledge than myself, particularly re the Labral Tear..............but seems not, so I will try, and tell re my experience re Injections.................yes, I have had Steroid injections for OA, in the past, and yes there was pain in injected joints for a few days.  This pain I treated by Strapping (on joints that I could do so)...........and Ice packs on joints that could not be strapped.   I have found that the injections helped/worked Big time in the Long-Term....I have had many joints injected, and once the initial pain setted, I have found that these joints no longer bother me (many fingers/wrists/toes/ankles/rib-cage etc)..............adding to this, I also had a Sterid injection into the bursa near my L) shoulder, when I developed a Tendonites in upper L) arm, in 2010: and yes, this was extremely painful for a few days, but then the pain settled (I do remember the actual sharp pain felt when the needle went into the sac....and tears came to my eyes).....unfortunately, for me, the Tendonites was too bad, and had to end up having to have surgery to clean out the Pus inside.

​I guess by now, you have been told whether it has worked, or not? and if it is the Labral Tear or your PN?   .......as to the PN, am wondering have you ever been treated with Anti-malarial drugs for this; as for the little knowledge of I have of this condition (I once had an episode of same in my R) Forefinger knuckle), and thankfully this never developed into long-term RA.............that is another question............have you actually been diagnosed with RA, requiring the use of your Leflunimide???, as I was under the impression that this was only used long-term for confirmed RA??.........please let me know, as am always interested in learning more?...........Bron

• Posted

Hi Bron,

Thanks for your reply, sorry to hear about your problems with your shoulder sounds painful but glad the steriod injections have worked for you.

In reply to your questions yes I have now been diagnosed with full blown RA, after having palindromic for 11 years, my symptoms have been getting worse since summer 2014 got the definite diagnosis in January of this year...... Also got the lupus and sjogrens antibody but thankfully no symptoms of those diseases.

The pain that was getting worse in my groin started around November 2014 but hit its peak may this year got to the point where I couldn't even weight bear, deep groin pain, muscle spasms down my thigh and electrical shooting pain all down my right leg, 

My rheumatologist thought it was RA and it took a while to get me on the right medication so she kept saying it will take time etc , but it was just getting gradually worse all other joints seemed to be improving so she arranged for a MRI scan which showed a degenerative labral hip tear and labral cyst which is where the synovial fluid has formed in the soft tissue and it was very inflamed ouch!!!!! Knew There was something wrong  it was more than just RA pain

So ref to orthapaedics who where surprised by the level of pain I was in because some people can have labral tears and only experience pain on excercise where as I was on crutches and pain killers, anyway she said to know for defo if the pain was due to the tear they would give me a steriod injection and if that helped then she would know it was and then I would need surgery to repair it,,,,,l fast forward 4 weeks while waiting for the injection things started to improve was still tender to walk and put weight on my right leg but was no where near as painful so I was happy to wait, my Gp said the inflammation may have settled and that's why the pain had reduced.

So got the injection Tuesday this week but 2 hours later oh my the pain started all over again same as it had been before, nobody had said this could happen which brought me back to the Internet searching for answers if anyone else had had this experience, couldn't find anyone with RA with a labral tear then came across this site and decided to have a moan haha.

Spoke to my Gp yesterday and she said this can happen the cortisone can crystallise causing inflammation but it should settle..... It's now 5 days since the injection and my leg is starting to feel a little better this morning I've just managed to come downstairs without my crutches so fingers crossed.

I have to wait for around 4 weeks to see if there is an improvement then back to orthapedics to find out what will happen next.

I am on the anti malaria drug hydrocloxycloraquin and leflunomide because my liver didn't like methotrexate excuse the spelling!!! 

just hoping I get sorted soon seems like I'm taking 1 step forward and 3 back, been on the sick from work now since March, the pain and discomfort just gets me down and is so frustrating, family are great and kids now teenagers so that's a blessing got lots of help but just want to be independent again..... Thanks Nic 

• Posted

Hi Nichola;   I feel that maybe you may just be lucky enough that the Injection has worked for now????   If you are feeling the pain settling, it may give you some reprieve and not have to rush in and have the surgery???....I am thinking that when you go back to Orthopod, she may request another MRI, to assess the situation, and if there was only an inflammation, then the Cortisone will have helped.....if a Tear, then, if you feel you want the surgery, and have it ALL fixed up, "once and for all", as I did with shoulder, in order to get it over with while still young enough to get over the surgery (with no issues of age etc on heart/lungs/and physio afterwards)....then this is probably the way to go.............I wish you well, and please keep us/me informed...........even by Private Messaging via the site near your name on left...............Bron

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.