Pain after THR

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi - this is my first time posting - I have been following with great interest other discussions - it has certainly helped me.  I am 9 weeks post THR and I am 46 years old.  The hip joint feels great and I am walking with no limp. My problem of late is pain at night in my thigh.  It feels like a toothache in my leg. It spreads down to my calf and foot.  Has anyone experienced this?  Many thanks in advance!

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

OMG....yes! I'm only 2 weeks as of tomorrow and I have the same pain! I was getting it bad when I was doing my straight leg lifts, do I stopped doing those, but mine gets worse in the evening too. Like bone/nerve pain. I'm going in tomorrow and going to find out about it. I will let you know what they say! Hard to sleep with that pain!

Otherwise, glad to hear that there's no limp smile

Tammy

• Posted

​Hi  Jess glad your doing so well,   sorry about the niggling pain in your

​thigh    remember you had major surgery a lot has been cut and put back together muscles tendons nerves all been battered and bruised, it could olso

​be that your pushing yourself to hard and the body is  telling you to slow down,     but be safe not sorry talk to your doc  all the best and take care

• Posted

Thanks so much Alex - I guess it just seemed strange that it's only just started happening.  You are right - what a battering we've taken!  I've just booked a doctor's appointment!

• Posted

No advice or insight sorry, but wishing you well .

This is a serious operation with significant surgery and manipulation - not a journey for wusses 😂😂😋 as we have learned. I think the levels of recovery take quite a while, even just for the swelling to subside ... I think this is part of why we start to experience new aches and pains over time.

But always good to check with a medical professional if concerned.

Wishing you all the best in your recovery.

PS I am 15 weeks, doing well but still fighting fatigue at times. Sometimes I wish I could go ahead to do my other hip a bit sooner than late summer so I could move through recovery sooner. But I want to be as fit as possible for the next one.

• Posted

Hi Jess

Welcome to your first post l did the same as you l watched from afar before l had the guts to join the forum and now l am so glad l did. I am 43 years old and had my first THR on 9th dec last year and got the other leg done on 15th feb this year. I found out l had severe OA in both hips and both needed replaced at the end of last year after suffering from what l thought was a pulled muscle in my left groin for months and had been to gp and he agreed and sent me away. It was up to the point l was lying on the floor in tears trying to get dressed for work every morning l had no quality of life l was miserable all l could manage to do was go to my work and come home and sleep on couch l had enough and we t to the doctors this time l wanted an answer why the pain was not going away but getting worse. He sent me for xray that day to local hospital a week later l was being told both my hips were in a terrible state and needed replaced asap. I think l found this forum just before my 1st thr and thank god l did as it got me through my 2 surgeries as its great talking to people that have gone through the same or are just about to go through hip replacement.. you will find that evryone is so supportive and helpful and will help you with anything you need.

Right Jess you are saying you have a pain in your thigh at night well l can say that l did experiance pain in my thighs quite often and it went down to about my knee l know this was caused by pin from the new joint joining my femur bone l had the pain from the day l got out of hospital and some days if was worse than others it was like l could feel where the hew hip pin stopped and my real bone started and it was really painful sometimes.

Are you still taking painkillers and are you tsking them at night befote bed? I had this pain after both ops but it never went below my knee. But l think l have read of others who have. You will experiance all sorts of pains because they have cut right through the muscle. I would say if it is getting worse go see your gp but you will probably notice it will go eventually unless its just suddenly appeared and is getting worse then l would say get it checked out .

Hope this helps hun keep us updated on any progress it might just be a case of changing your pain meds so you are not suffering at night.

Laura x

• Posted

Hi Laura,

Like you, I was finally diagnosed with severe OA in both hips after a year and a half of Drs assuming it was a back problem. My chiropractor figured it out!

Anyway, I had my first replacement 3 weeks tomorrow and think I'm doing quite well. I walk with no aids although it's not perfect, and I actually slept through the night last night!

My concern is that my other side is still really bad with OA and I'm afraid it will hold me back. I can't walk far with it, even worse on a humid day. Can you please tell me how you handled that?

Thanks,

Fiona

• Posted

Hi Fiona - we could almost be twins as our experiences and symptoms are so similar. But I suspect I am more than a bit older and my first THR was Feb 19th. I hope to have my second one late summer/early fall.

I wonder how many of us saw chiropractors for back pain and they determined the cause eventually.

Hope you are continuing to recover well. I must admit that I feel that my recovery has slowed and perhaps even stepped back. But ... definitely glad to be rid of the bone on bone.

Cheers,

L

• Posted

Of course fiona well after my 1st thr my recovery seemed to go great and after 3 weeks l felt brilliant apart from the pain l was still getting from the right leg was sorer than the operated leg so from 4 weeks on l was desperste to have other leg done as it was holding me back so after 4 to 5 week l asked for an appointment to see my sirgeon and told him l was ready.. he booked me in for 3 weeks later and l just had to cope up to next op but can l say the 2nd op felt totally diffrent the recovery was longer it seemed to be harder but l mmanaged. It was not easy as l still was not fully recovered from 1st one theñ l had to do the healing and pt again. Its been a long process but l am getting there. Still off work and l still get pain sometimes and can't sleep the best but it can take a while but just need to be patient and do as much as my body allows.

Laura x

• Posted

Thanks so much for getting back to me. My surgeon is very determined to follow his protocol and doesn't like to change. I was going to push him to move forward the timeline but it is sounding smarter to follow his 3 month rule. For some reason I thought this would be a breeze - not! Anyway will continue to work hard and get ready for part 2. Everyday I see improvement which is very encouraging.

Thanks Fiona

• Posted

Hi Linda,

It amazed me tht they completely missed the diagnosis. I was angry at first but decided that wasn't helping and needed to move forward. At least I was able to see a surgeon quickly.

I am 3 weeks post op today and believe I'm doing quite well. FYI, I'm in my late 50's.

Good luck to you in your recovery !

Fiona

• Posted

Hi there

I'm

41 and 3 weeks post thr. You have saved me writing a post - I have exactly the same pain and have done since day one. At week 3 im down to one crutch and can walk unaided but waddle like a penguin so I don't. I do my exercises in the day and day time pain is ok - bareable - but gosh do I dread night times. That ache in my thigh which goes down to my knee and sometimes lower leg is horrid - just as you described as toothache. I take painkillers but nothing seems to rid it. As soon as I'm

Up and about in the morning it settles.

Wish it would to away x

• Posted

Hi Gilly,

You might check wit a PT, this sounds like the IT band and/or hamstring. There are simple exercises for this but you have to diligent as they will tighten right back up.

Good luck.

L

• Posted

Hi Jess, 

good that you found us ... you already know how we share our personal stories and experiences here -

I also had these thigh pains , but don't remember them going all the way down -

Like Laura, I could and somestimes still feel the hardware in my thighs - like it was alive - this "pain" was on top of my thigh - but then I developed pain on the side of my thigh and was diagnosed with trochanteric artheritis - 

Good for you that you are going to see your doctor about this - 

and you too Tammy !

please let us know the outcome of your visit ..

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hey Jess. I'm also just under 9 weeks and - bizarrely - had exactly the same type of discomfort start for the first time last night... dull, but annoying aches all the way down my operated leg. Had me tossing and turning all night (but at least I'm back to being able to toss and turn now - bonus!!!) I'm not worrying about it for now, as I was forewarned by the surgical team that you get all sorts of aches and twinges as everything reconnects and returns to normal after such an invasive procedure. No harm checking with the doc if it's worrying you though... all the best for a great continued recovery :-)
    • Posted

This sounds bad but I'm sort of relieved I'm not the only one! Good luck to you too!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.