Pain at night after total hip operation

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all. I had a total hip replacement on 17/10/16. So only 5 days ago. I can manage my pain during the day time, but i have severe pain at night.

Is this usual or am I the only one who is having it??

Cheers

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like you are undermedicated. I suggest you contact your surgeon's office and tell them your problem and get the type and dosage of medication that you need in the frequency that will help you.

• Posted

Sleep is vital to recovery. That's when all the mending happens.

If you have pain at any time in the next few weeks, get and take medication. Stay under a 4 on the pain scale. Don't wait till it's bad.

• Posted

At nite is when our hip goblins get u

Yes check on pain meds warm hugs like renee says

Jozie

• Posted

Perfectly normal .. Mine was on 8 Th October and I had been warned that the nights are the worse. I still wake about 3am and need painkillers and the first three nights could not sleep at all .. So yes it's all normal and will pass and you can catch up on sleep in the day

• Posted

If after 3 months you can't cope with the pain it's important to see your surgeon . This will get better and there are many ways available to help you get thru this stage of heeling.

• Posted

hi julie,  warm welcome to this wonderful hippies forum where we share our personal stories and experiences - where you will be understood and feel supported to no end - we all have been there or are about too ... I agree with previous posts - sounds like you are undermedicated if the pain is so severe that it keeps you awake -  how is your matress?   please let us know how you are getting on otherwise ...like excercises and walking ...big warm hugrenee 
  • Posted

Hi Julie.

Sorry you're in pain. It can be difficult at night because you're so immobile. Are you keeping up with your painkillers ? Not doing too much during the day I hope then it catches up with you in terms of soreness ? Still early days. Hang in there girl......

Rob

• Posted

Hi all. I eventually fell asleep last night, after I took an amitriptyline ( my doctor said they work like a sedative ). Maybe I am not medicating myself enough. Yesterday I didn't have any morphine at all till it was time to go to bed. Thank you all for your reply, I now realise I have others to talk to about this.

Cheers. Julie. 😀

• Posted

Hi Julie

I am 4 weeks post op and night time is very difficult sleepimg.  . i took painkillers for the first few weeks and can now sleep on my good side.  But had to get meds for Restless Legs which are great.

• Posted

No you are not only one. Im nearly two weeks after hip replecement and im same i can menage pain during day but night not. Not sleeping much because pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.