Pain at night - freaking out

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all

I'm 9 days post op today from a scarf and akin osteotomy on both feet, with some tendon extensions on my right foot. So far the pain has been tolerable since around day 5 just taking pain meds ad hoc when needed now. 

However, last night I had a bit of a shock. I've been sleeping in bed with my feet propped up on a couple of pillows, wearing the heel walking boots as instructed by my surgeon. Anyway last night I was suddenly awoken as the big toe in my right foot suddenly gave an almighty twitch, like I'd tried to bend it upwards really suddenly and I felt this awful pain shoot down my foot where the work has been done. It's back to being bearable today but there's definitely some additional pain in my right foot. I wonder if anyone else has had anything similar or if you think it's possible to do any damage by your toes twitching/moving? Im so worried about causing any ongoing problems by not recovering properly. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!! 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Ozzycee

I had bilateral scarf and akin procedure almost 8 months ago.  I did not have tendon extensions.  Nine days post op is not long as this operation does take a while to recover.  I do remember feeling the sharp like electric shock pains, which I think is the nerves starting to heal.  The most pain I had was when heel walking and standing.  I do have a high pain tolerance though.

Also expect skin shedding of the feet, mine was quite extensive but left me with wonderful soft skin better than any pedicure !

If you are worried then please contact the hospital or your GP for advice.

It is a long haul to getting back to normal feet, even now I can get some slight swelling and tight feeling around the toes. 

I do hope your pain gets better soon, it is a problem if interrupting your sleep.

Sandals

• Posted

I had the same experience and also got very scared with me it was nerve pain I guess that happens after you start walking, take a pain killer for the pain but I would Also call the doctor and elevate a little more todaysmile

• Posted

Hi I am now 6 months post op and still have the odd pain. It as the others have mentioned is neve pain. You are extremely early days. Just make sure you don't do too much and particularly because you have had both feet done at the same time. I am soon to have my second one done. It is worth it at the end of the day. I wore boots for the first time the other day and the foot that hurt was the one that was not done.

• Posted

I had that. A kind of twitching that was intense but now it's ok. Elevate and rest.

• Posted

Hiya Ozzycee, I had bilateral scraf and akin procedure 5 weeks ago and I sympathize with your concerns about hampering your recovery, this is not an op you'd want to repeat. I have had similar shooting pains through my feet although my toes actually feel a bit numb to the touch. It's a trying time and I've found that relaxing and elevating my feet has helped in general, I've been forced into resting due to the residual lower back and hip pain caused by the bunions. Walking on the outside of your feet is so much harder than I had expected and brings it's own challenges though I've got much better at it and am getting about without crutches now. All the best for your recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.