Pain below and behind the ribs

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have endometriosis and got diagnosed 10 years ago. The last couple of years my condition have worsened, but the pain that I´m now experiencing are not typical for endometriosis. 

I have during the last year experienced pain below my left rib. The pain have slowly developed and have become more permanent and spreading up under the rib, all the way up to the lower chest-erea. During the last couple of weaks I have also felt that the pain slowly are spreading to the right side. 

At the same time as this has developing I have had problem with coughing after eating dary-products. I have stop eating dary but now I cough even when eating other types of food. 

I am waiting on an operation for my endometriosis, but I am getting worried that these symptoms are not because of the endometriosis. I can´t find anything online that explaines my symptoms. The doctors also seem unsure and sends my back and forward to other clinics all the time. 

Is there anyone else who have experienced the same thing that I´m going through?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I have similar issues on my right side. They want to remove gallbladder and appendix. I am scheduled for endo surgery and removal of my ovaires in a few weeks. By any chance do you have polycystic ovarian disease? What is your age?
    • Posted

Im sorry to hear that you have similar pain. Hope that you feel better after your operation. 

I am 33 years old. I do have polycistic ovaries but not testosterone dominance as most people with that condition seems to have. How does it effect? 

• Posted

I have similar pains only mine are on my right side, i call it my liver pain but have been seen by so many doctors and had countless tests but nothing has shown up. Im having acupuncture at the moment so just waiting and praying.

I do know that foods can cause alot of different pains. I have gone wheat, dairy and yeast free as all of these foods caused different pains so definately worth trying to cut things out and see if anything changes.

Good luck, i feel your pain x

• Posted

That is my biggest fear. That they wont find anyting during surgury. Then there will be no help, I will have to live with it. :-(

Hope acupuncture will help you with your pain. 

• Posted

Well that just sucks to have to deal with endo and now have this new pain.

Having pain on the left side is significantly different from pain on the right side. The pain on the right side can so often be gallbladder related and if one doesn't have stones but the gallbladder is slowly dying, docs may not be able to detect an issue until the thing is dead.

I assume that they've sent you to a cardiologist, gastroenterologist and pulmonologist, and that all have done all sorts of tests? Send or hand a written note to the doc/surgeon who will do your endo surgery asking them to be sure to look for endo up on the outside of your stomach & lungs, and send a copy of that note to your gp & to your gyn if the gyn isn't doing the surgery. The docs take written notes more seriously than verbal requests, and they take notes that come through the mail even more seriously. And yes, gastroenterologist and pulmonologist could've looked at things from the inside and seen nothing while you could still have endo on the outside of the organs which eventually can work its way inside. There's at least one woman on this forum who's had that happen to her stomach.

Remember to remind everyone in the operating room that the surgeon is supposed to check your stomach & left lung & intestine near those for endo - puts everyone on notice & reminds the doc to do it.

• Posted

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I have only been to a regular doctor who took some blodworks, don´t really know what he was looking for. He also send me to an ultrasound of the abdomen. But as soon as he heard that I have endometriosis, he stoped looking and start blaming the pain on the endometriosis. He sent me to a gyn, and she dont think it is endometriosis and want to send me back. But she still let me have the surgury because I also have endometriosis-pain in the lower abdomen, so she focus on that rather on the pain behind the ribs. It feels like they don´t know what to do with me so they focus on what they do understand. 

• Posted

Oh Taara, you hit the nail on the head with your analysis of the do tors! It would not hurt to tell your gp that you want to see a gastroenterologist and that you want to start the process now. I don't think anyone has numbers on the frequency of endo in that area, but my guess is that it's unusual so it would be good to start looking at other causes. If the gp balks, ask him to provide you with scientific proof that pain in that area is usually endo. I'm sure you'll say that politely with a sweeter smile than I would summon ,,,.so you'll get more cooperation than I get from docs :-)

• Posted

I was diagnosed with endo about a year ago at the age of 25 and I have the exact same pain you're describing ( just below the left rib) I find it flares up immediately after eating. Every time I tell a doctor they usually brush it off. I don't have any answers for you but you are not alone.... I figured the endo has spread up there??? Scary feeling sad

• Posted

im having the same symptoms but told by the doctor it could be endo or IBS, which tbh i dont think it is! 
  • Posted

Hello. I am going through a very similar thing but with my right side. Constant pressure/ache under my right rib and right side of lower stomach towards right pelvis. I've had a urine and blood sample, all clear. I've also has a ultrasound on my kidneys as the doctor suspected kidney stones and this was clear. Today I've had another ultrasound on my pelvic and stomache area and I am currently waiting for results. I had lapronoscopy for a cyst on my right ovary last year which had endrometreosis inside and was advised to go on birth control but little else offered information wise.

The pressure/ache has been going on since the beginning of January this year and I am now starting to worry but also feel like I am going mad!

Please can you pass a update on how you are now as your experience sounds very similar.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.