spinal clinic so wondering if I should see my GP again as now

really worrying something is going on with the disc again or

even a different one. Anyone have any thoughts or experience

of this?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda

Yes, get back to your GP and get referred for a new MRI scan.

There are two things it could be that I know of. Scar tissue can cause similar symptoms to a herniation, but that would usually start earlier, and the fact that you have pain on the other side rather than the side of the previous op suggests it could be a reherniation but on the other side.

This is not good but it's not terrible either. Having a second microdiscectomy is not uncommon and has a good rate of success.

Scar tissue is actually less good as that is very hard to treat,

The fact that the pain is on the other side, like I say, suggests it's not scar tissue from the earlier surgery.

Get a new MRI as this should show what is up.

good luck.

• Posted

Defo go back to GP . I've suffered 20 yr with my back, had one op and awaiting spinal fusion now.

• Posted

I had a similar problem and found my Glutes had tightened up and were pressing on the same nerve (Piriformis Syndrome). A few stretches sorted it after a couple of days. 

So I suggest try that first before you panic, plenty of info on Google.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.