Pain continues during PT after ankle surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I broke my ankle on 11/13, had surgery on 11/18. Was non weight bearing until

My 1/11 surgery to remove a pin. NWB for another week. I'm now doing PT, out of the boot, but the pain has not subsided, in fact it's worse. I have to be on norco 10 which I hate. Is it normal to have this much pain during PT after being NWB for almost 3 months? My range of motion has improved but the pain and tightness is not improving. Just wondered if others have experienced long PT with continued pain. Maybe I'm too impatient.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Janness,

I had a trimalleolar ankle break on December 17th ,2016 and a surgery next day. I have seven screws, two pins , and a plate in my ankle. I was NWB for six week. I have been in physio therapy for the past three weeks (twice a week, six sessions so far). I find that I still require to use pain medications ( ibuprofen) and ice after each PT session. I found that walking in the pool helps a lot with tightness and strengthening muscles. I started walking with chest high water and progressed to waist high water. It does miracles for me. Give it a try if you have access to the pool.

• Posted

Hello. I am sorry you are going through this. I am 14 months post surgery for broken tibia and fibula and it is a complicated ever changing landscape of pain and disability. What I did learn was patience but also to get second opinions. Go with your instinct. I got to a point where my doctor was dismissive and I sought other help. That doctor found severe inflammation and gave me a guided steroid shot which really helped. It takes the minimum of a year for the injury to even start to settle and, of course, it doesn't help that in order to walk, you have to continue to put pressure on a very fragile area. I also found this site very helpful.

Good luck with your recovery

• Posted

Thank you for your response. Patience is what I need but difficult at times! I have a great PT and I see him today. On Friday he said my tendons surrounding the ankle were inflamed. I've done everything he said to do over the weekend & no improvement. I'll ask about talking to the dr about steroids. Your post helped. I have to accept that this will be a long recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.