Pain during night and on waking up.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone I wondered how many people wake at night due to pain or discomfort in knees, ankles etc?  I have also been waking in the morning with extreme pain in my hands does anyone else experience this? 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Birgitbee

Sometimes I wake up with pains below the knees. Lately things have improved with acupuncture, the swelling in my right knee has subsided and I have had improvement in my wrist. I can't walk far and I can't cycle but I manage to get through aquafit classes without discomfort. A relative told me about a local clinic that uses laser therapy for pain so I will check it out. In mid July I will see an orthopedic speciallist not sure what his diagnosis might be. I used to think I would need surgery for my knee but now I'm thinking pain management with exercise, acupuncture and laser therapy. 

Regards, Alpine

• Posted

Thanks Alpine,  I think I read somewhere once that people who have OA will wake up with pain, while people with other arthritis develop pain as the day goes on.  I am still walking most days not a long way about 25 30 minutes slow walk with my dog but find it painful sometimes particularly my knees and ankles. I need to be more proactive with this but despair at times. Good you get relief from acupuncture and Aquavit classes. 

Regards,

Birgit 

• Posted

Hello Brigitbee,  I have osteoarthritis and have pain most days, sleeping is problamatic and can only sleep if i have coedine which is prescribed. Exercise is good like gentle walking, i cannot walk far now as i have had operations. If you like swimming that is supposed to be good too. Pain management is the key. Try distraction methods, if you wake with pain, get up for a short while, i do some jigsaw or read, this tires me and i am distracted from the pain and hopefully get back to sleep.

Elizabeth 

• Posted

Thanks Elizabeth, I have started taking a codeine at night to help with the pain. I will just have to keep on top of everything. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.