Pain for a week. Advice on Appendicitis .

Posted , 2 users are following.

I went to the ER last Sat. They did Ultrasound..DR said ovaries looked fine. Pelvic exam, then ct. CT showed normal appendix. After, he came up with Ovarian cyst ruptured and there is fluid.

Sharp pains continued. I had temp of 99.3 , felt weak . So I went back to the ER this previous Sat ( week later) That Dr dI'd ultrasound. No ct. Cyst was there with some fluid. .

Today is Tuesday. I tried taking babies for a walk. Found myself VERY exhausted to the point I had to put babies down for a nap and lay in bed. The right side feels odd..some pain.. not sharp as much...but definetly does not feel right. I can barely eat, my right flank around back has hurt non stop. I feel like that is getting worse. My lower abdomin is sore and feel like at times I'm going to have diarea

Has anyone experienced pain a week before appendicitis was finally diagnosed? Has anyone experienced psjns like this and misdiagnosed as a ruptured cyst?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Surfee

I have had both ruptured cyst and a horrendous gangrenous appendix.

The cyst pain was a lot lower down on right side just above pubic bone.

Appendix burst when I was pregnant so pain was slightly higher up due to baby. I was hospitalised 4 months before it burst and was misdiagnosed that I had such bad morning sickness I had given myself stomach spasms!!! That's what hospital told me although my GP was adamant to the paramedic I had a "grumbling" appendix. You can have a this a few months before it bursts. My symptoms were severe vomitting, no appetite at all, right sided jabbing/pulling pain and fatigue.

However the night it went it was different - I had the classic symptom started in upper abdomen a strong tummy ache and then pain moved to right side severe stabbing.

The burst cyst on my overy was nothing like the appendix pain. When I went in, hospital told me they thought I had a twisted overy or Appendicitis, leaning more towards appendix because of symptoms.

Mine did not show on ultrasound as baby was in the way but it was to late by that point and had burst anyway.

My advice would be keep a diary of pain, if something triggers it, and symptoms. If you are in so much pain with it you can't walk go back to hospital don't wait. Have you thought it might be back related as you are saying that flank is hurting. Sometimes if you pull a back muscle it can affect things at the front as its pulling and sore.

I really hope you recover very soon.

smile

• Posted

No. It's not my back. My right side near the hip just felt like someone was stabbing me one morning. The next day I went to ER. First dr said " Looked at your ultrasound...overies look fine..." Then after ct it was like he didn't know so just said I had a cyst that ruptured and there was fluid. So that left me with " Is there or isn't there a cyst??"

I'm still having pain/ discomfort. I feel gassy. Walking too much eherts me and is now making my whole abdomin hurt. I just feEl " off". The side back pain fhrobs.

• Posted

Sounds more like it could be the cyst! If it's burst generally they only see fluid as the cyst has burst its not there anymore - that's what they said to me anyway. And a CT scan should definitely show an appendix if it's inflamed.

I think if your not happy and in to much pain go back to your GP or take yourself to A&E. It took me a week with my overy before I felt better!

Obviously this is advice I am not a dr or nurse just speaking from previous experience.

• Posted

I Thank you for your advice. smile It is helpful. I am going to see if it let's up next couple of days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.