Pain in cast...coming off soon

Posted , 2 users are following.

The past few days, my ankle has been hurting quite a bit! Like, a lot! I'm still in a fiberglass cast, and it's coming off on Friday (yay!), but I'm wondering if y'all have any tips on reducing the pain until then?

I think the pain is there now because the swelling has gone down so much that my ankle is moving, but in uncontrolled movements which are obviously much worse than intentional movements. I know it's just 2 days away, but I need to do something about it! I'm supposed to work tomorrow and Thursday! I'm probably not going in tomorrow because of the pain...and the swelling. Oh my God the swelling! By the time I got out of work today, my cast was so tight it felt like a python was wrapped around my leg! And that's even with using my knee scooter!

I actually hate that thing with a bloody passion...yeah it's faster to get around and less pressure on your arms...and maybe it's just me, but the pressure it puts on your leg is insane and painful. Painful enough for me to think about that over my ankle from time to time!

To be honest, I guess I'm just old school, even with only being 26, and I'll keep my crutches, thank you! I can move swiftly and maneuver through almost anywhere. I can even carry stuff in one hand and crutch along to my couch or wherever. Hell, today I held a basket at Target with my crutches!

So, tips for pain? Other than the ovious rest, ice, elevation and meds...heat? I don't know...

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Ice and elevation are the best ways... Once the cast is off try soaking in an epsom salt bath... I find it helps... 6 years ago I dislocated and fractured my ankle which caused arthritic fluid to build and start wearing away at the cartilage in my ankle... I had end stage osteoarthritis (I had an ankle replacement recently so I no longer have the arthritis)... I'd soak my leg in epsom salt bath water... It helped...And it helped the rest of my body too

• Posted

Thanks. I got my cast off on Friday and all is well with the world lol. But really, my ankle doesn't hurt really, just gets sore from the PT exercises I was given. My ROM is phenomenal for post-op, and I can put a decent amount of weight on it. PT is hoping to wean me out of the boot over the next few weeks.

• Posted

Fantastic!! Glad things are going well... Now to mine off (I guess it could be called a cast)... When your sore from PT and don't want to take a full bath you can use a container that can hold water and soak just the ankle or a wash cloth wet with epsom salts.. really helps... A Chinese woman suggested this to me years ago... When I tried it I was amazed

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.