Pain in groin after sitting.

Posted , 13 users are following.

About 8 weeks Post-Op Total hip replacement - Anterior approach, right hip. I am a 50-year-old women and weigh 114 pounds and am and have been fairly active most of my life.)

I am experiencing an INTENSE pain in my groin area - down to my inside knee and front thigh, on the new right side.

It is a sharp pain - ONLY when i stand up after sitting. The pain lasts only about 10-30 seconds when i first try to put weight on the leg. The pain goes away after a few steps, BUT OH those few steps are excruciating. I don't have any pain while sitting, walking, bike riding, stretching……just the moment when i get up from the sitting position and try to apply weight.   

I am still in PhysicalTherpy and have stopped all physical stressful hip exercises. The therapist only does deep muscle massages trying to release some muscle somewhere deep in my groin/thigh area, but it is just not getting any better  

My Doctor took X-Rays and said the appliance looks fine - now he is talking about an x-ray guided Cortisone shot, which I am not very happy about.

Has ANYONE else experienced any pain like this ?

Should I insist on a MRI ?

Has anyone had one of these Cortisone shots and if so how painful is it,  and is it risky to surrounding nerves.

Any thoughts or experiences to be shared would be appreciated?

3 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I am a bit over 10 weeks post-op. I had groin pain when I was hobbling around for four days on my broken femur before I knew it was broken, and I have groin pain now.

My first post-op x-ray showed everything was fine. Having another on Friday. I must say I do feel misaligned/twisted in some ways when I stand straight or try to walk straight.

• Posted

PS 54. I am in pain, but it's not excrutiating. If you are in that much pain, ask for tests.
  • Posted

*excruciating... I am actually a professional editor and my spelling on this forum is disgraceful. I won't be asking for references here, lol...
  • Posted

I know I get pains when I stand - I did first time around too - but it passes if I stamp onthe floor hard a couple of times twisted  but it is not as painful as yours sounds to be.  

Last night I had it worse than ever, and could barely get across the room, holding on to everything, but I had done a 3.5 mile walk earlier in the day, and was very tired from that.  This morning - almost back to usual again.

I think some pain when you standis fairly normal, it's just that the muscles need 'waking up' to get them going.  It's the level of pain you are getting / are tolerant to.

Graham

• Posted

Hi Emm,

I can't help you with any advice re the pain that you are experiencing however I have had 2 lots of cortisone injections in my groin area prior to my THR. One was blind, i.e. the physio injected where I felt pain and when that didn't work I was given an ultrasound led injection. These were no more painful to me than a normal injection. Neither of these worked for me, but that was because I was bone on bone with OA. I think the physio was trying to do everything they could before referring me.

I wouldn't hesitate in having them done again if if I was experiencing such post op pain. I have had cortisone injections in my heels due to plantar fasciitis and it worked brilliantly.

Dawn

• Posted

hi Emm, 

First.  warm welcome to this wonderful forum of fellow hippies where we share our personal stories and experiences - 

Unfortunately I am familiar with this pain in groin area - I had 2 THR surgeries and both sides are painful/stiff when I get up - Usually after I have been active with volunteer work ... I never had those cortisone shots in my hip, but did have one in my elbow (Tendinitus) and I swore never to have another one again -

Apparently the orthopod injected it in the bone instead of muscle ...

I was in bad shap, physically, walked poorly because of the pain pre-op -

so hunched over - I can feel those muscles when I  stretch my upper body -

How is your gait - are you walking unaided?   I am still in the process (22 weeks post-op!) of retraining my brain to walk properly .... straight posture, shoulders relaxed, push leg from butt muscle (Not thigh ....so challenging for me), lift foot, heel to toe, finish step before taking the next one - tedious !!!! sore and stiff muscles - and so slooooww - 

if using cane , try to not lean too much - oh, and swing arms ...

I think that I   almost lost the limp -

take care, darling and I agree, go see a doctor when the pain gets too bad -

big warm hug

renee

anyway, this is m

• Posted

Thank you all for you helpful responses - its good to know I am not alone ! Husband and kids are caring but its better to converse with others who have experienced the “pain” of hip replacement.

I had  a fluoroscopically guided iliopsoas muscle cortisone injection yesterday. I admit I was very fearful, but the process was uneventful and did NOT hurt at all. So i am so very thankful to the amazing radiologist and his nurse. I still have the pain today but it has decrease by about 60%. Hopefully it will cure any inflammation in my muscle group so I can sit and stand again without crying. He said a few days for the cortisone to help heal so I hope and pray that this will be the “fix”. 

Just for future reference if anyone else searches for this type of pain in the group this is what determined the "muscle target area" as explained to me by the surgeon’s Physician Assistant. 

If you CAN NOT do this; Be flat on the bed. Keep leg straight. Raise your foot up off the mattress. You probably have iliopsoas tendonitis. Tendonitis are  small rips into the tendon, probably caused by over doing it. So as much as we wish to return to normal it is NOT a good idea to be in such a rush and over-do your exercising. Take time to heal. It was a tramatic gruesome surgery to your body. Thanks again.

• Posted

Hi Emma,

sounds positive.

from the bits of reading around I've done, all cases of illiopsoas tendinitis were able to be successfully resolved. From what you say, so far so good.

btw, did you physician explain to you how this had occurred? Was there something pre existing there? Or due to how the prosthesis was placed? Or "overdoing it" after op?

• Posted

So - I just become 11 weeks post op today.

​Bilateral hip replacement - Anterior approach.

​While not as severe as yours - I do have stiffness and discomfort when first standing up.  Sometimes first steps are painful 1 on a scale of 10

​I just came from follow up vist to my surgeon - he thinks it could be combination of some scar tissue as the stretch that area quite a bit when they do the procedure and/or  just muscles slowly recoverying.

​Advised continuing to stretch and use of an eliptical machine or swimming to get range of motion both directions in joint.

• Posted

Rob,

Yes, the pain on first standing is common - I can get it up to a 4 on the 1-10 scale when I have overdone the exercise.

• Posted

I'm 10 weeks postop rt. hip replacement and have the same problem. Can't go to dinner, play area, do anything that requires sitting for 30 minutes or more The sharp, stabbing pains start as soon as I stand and sometimes last all day. Yesterday I had to stay in bed and take pain meds because the pain attacked even when I'd just get up to use the bathroom. Today I ave almost no pain, have had just a couple of twinges. Am cancelling travel plans because they require a few hours of sitting on a plane.

I asked my doc if we can SEE what's going on so it can be fixed. He said NO to MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) because a magnetic study won't work with a metal hip!

I had my left hip replaced a few years ago and had no such problem, was up and active within a few weeks. Both surgeries were posterior approach.

At this point I'm feeling depressed and almost desperate. I too would love some suggestions or advice. Physical therapist thinks is a strained orctorn hip flexor (ileopsoas) muscle, which may take as long as 6 months to heal, maybe loner. Doctor agrees, and recommends stationary bike and walking, which I did the very same this last episode started.

• Posted

Hi I don't know if you are still on the forum but just wondered how you were getting on. It's been 10 weeks science my husband had a thr and the pain in his groin is a nightmare. When he stands up it takes him ages to get going and the pain is really bad. He has tried swimming and done all the exercises but nothing seems to work. Just wondered if you have any advise as he is also getting really depressed as he was hoping to be back at work soon.

thank you 

• Posted

So sorry for your husband's groin pain problem. It's been @ three months since my right thr. It has taken longer to recoup from this right replacement than my left thr 6 years ago, with the groin pain and butt pain. I'm 70 now, but was probably more physically active before this last one than the first. Even though I have a very good and respected surgeon, I'm six years older and have other skeletal issues, such as scoliosis, arthritis, sacro-iliac joint misalignment. I've done physical therapy with a very good therapist a couple times a week since the surgery and have finally reached the point that the groin pain on standing is fading away. I really believe the body work the therapist has done is responsible for that. Will be doing pt 2x/week for one more month. P.S. Your hubby might also want to check to see if he has any psoas nerve impingement that some folks encounter after surgery and that causes groin pain. Much luck to you both!

• Posted

I know this is an old forum. But I can relate to the pain when you initially stand up and take your first steps. I recently got an infection but even for the year. Before that the pain never went away for me. I believe it was the illiopsis tendanitos as well but same thing my doctor wouldn't run Any tests. These surgeons often tell ppl they'll b back to 100 percent but my physical therapist will tell you that's almost never the case. I was in pain but still better pre thr. I wish I held off the surgery as long as I could but I was led to believe this was the better option to get it done sooner and not suffer. I wish I could trade back the pain I had then for the pain I have now. Same with my wrists. I had a tfc tear in both wrists the right one I had surgery on bc they told me to. It was so bad i decided not to go through with the other wrist. Today both wrists feel exactly the sAme. I was 15 and didn't know any better to question the surgeon more about it. You see your body part sometimes they just see 50 grand

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.