Pain in my femur since hip replacement. Is this normal?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had a full hip replacement 6 months ago.  Since the surgery, I've been experiencing an aching pain that runs from the top of my femur down to mid femur.  I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the metal part that was hammered into the bone to hold the joint in place.  It hurts when the weather is cold and/or if I carry anything over 10 lbs.  I'm hoping that this pain is just short term.  Is there anyone else out there who is having or has had the same issue?

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Kimberley, I assume you've reported this pain to your surgeon, since you've been having it ever since the THR. If not, then he should be made aware of it. It could be normal, or it could mean that the prosthesis in your femur is loosening. On another forum, a woman who had a cementless THR 6 months ago has just been diagnosed with loosening of the stem in her femur and will have to have a revision. She has had pain in the femur since 6 weeks out. 

The only way you can be sure if there is a problem or not is to have an x-ray or other imaging done. If it's not a problem with the prosthesis in your bone, then it would be a soft tissue problem.

Wishing you the best in getting a correct diagnosis! 

• Posted

Thanks AnnieKsmile  I've been concerned that something has gone wrong with the placement of the prosthesis, especially as I'm overweight.  My next follow up with my surgeon is March 31st.  I'm sure he'll take X-rays at that point.  My plan is to lose as much weight as possible by then in hopes that it will help.  I've already lost 7 lbs since Christmas, so I'm well on the waysmile

• Posted

Hi Kimberly,

its normal to have this. Can often be down to muscles healing and also tight muscles. You can always get your GP to check you out.

i see an osteopath who stretches out the muscles and it relieves it.

I'm 15 months post op and occasionally get pain now in femur. 

• Posted

Thank you auntiebeaniesmile  It's nice to know that it's probably nothing to worry about.  I plan to lose some weight and get into shape this year.  I'm hoping that it will help some also.

• Posted

Hi Kimberley, well done for losing 7lbs already.! It's going to be good for all your joints. Hope you get sorted out, and the pain lessens. Wish you well x

• Posted

Hi Judith, thank you so much for the encouragement.  I'm 50 years old, and until my issues with my back and hip, I was always active and kept my weight off.  5 years is a long time to have chronic pain.  It was during that time that I became very depressed and ended up gaining a lot of weight.  Now that the pain has diminished, I feel confident that I can lose that extra weight and regain my life back.  I feel very good about 2017! 

• Posted

I am thinking stem pain which can last at least up to 6 months or so. Doubt if it is muscle related. A X-Ray will tell I had it for several months especially if I over did the treadmill. My Surgeon told me to take it easy for a bit and no more pain. Best of luck
    • Posted

I can tell that the pain is coming from the bone.  Stretching doesn't help at all.  Like you, if I do too much it causes pain.  Moderation seems to be the key.  Thanks so muchsmile

• Posted

Kimberley,

​Does it feel like muscle pain? If so, as others have pointed out, this could be normal. I get that pain once in awhile and I am 14 months out. It is amazing how this operation impacts the glutes and if your core is not strong enough there are all kinds of compensations going on. Have you tried a roller yet at Physio? I recall doing that when I mentioned pain in my thigh. Best of luck...

• Posted

Hi rcoa1998,

It's definitely not muscle pain.  I just double checked by pressing hard down on my thigh...lol.  It hurts worse when I wear heels to work (2.5"wink.  If I wear trainers at home or on the weekend, it doesn't bother me nearly as much and sometimes not at all.  Of course, it doesn't help that I'm about 60 lbs (4.29 stone) overweight.  I couldn't exercise before my surgery because I was in too much pain, but I'm able to exercise now.  I can't jump around or do any kind of aerobics, but I can walk briskly and do toning exercises, which has helped me drop 7 lbs in less that 3 weeks.  At this point in the game I've realized that some kind of PT will have to be part of my life.... probably for the rest of my life if I want to stay active and pain free.  Thankssmile

• Posted

Hi Kimberley, I too have a dull ache down the bone where the implant is. I am 10 weeks post op and get woken up quite a lot with the ache/pain. I had a non cemented replacement done because my surgeon said it makes it a lot easier if you ever have to have a revision later. I think it is the bone marrow cementing the implant in, apparently that causes lots of aching.

i too am overweight and try hard to keep fit and lose weight, couple of pounds off, couple of pounds back on! I'll keep trying of course because I know it is better for me. Only trouble is, if you have pain, it is much harder to exercise I know! 

Best wishes for a continued recovery x

• Posted

Thanks Annsmile  Yes, it is that much harder to work out when carrying the extra weight.  I've been cutting out complex carbs, like potatoes, bread, rice, and pasta.  I now eat plenty of veggies and fruit.  Also get protein from lean meat and eggs.  I've really seen a huge difference!  The weight is melting away.  Good luck, and keep going!

• Posted

I tried cutting out the carbs too, but it is so hard and they seem to be the things I need to stave off hunger. How do you eat an egg without bread for example or not have a sandwich or some rice with a stir fry....oh dear, you can tell I have a real problem! I think I am actually hungrier during my recovery. I don't eat junk food and have cut out sugars where I can but still not successful. Great to hear it is working for you though!

• Posted

Eggs... hard boiled with a slice of sandwich meat.  Scrambled eggs (2), lightly sprinkle grated cheese over the top, slice a fresh tomato, pepper for seasoning and added taste.  Omelettes... add fresh tomatoes, bell pepper, chopped ham, onions, etc...  Alwasy drink a full glass of water with the breakfast (meal).  Eat slowing and chew as many times as you can before swollowing.  I guarantee you will be full. 

Also.... in between meals, have healthy foods readily available.  Chop up some fresh veggies and keep them in the fridge.  Fruit is also very good.  Be very careful not to over indulge in fruit though.  They do contain lots of simple carbs, which can add up very easily.  

I've found that using a small tea plate instead of a dinner plate is a big help.  I grew up in the days when we were told that we couldn't leave the table until our plates were clean.  Psychologically, using a smaller plate really works.  Hope this helpssmile

• Posted

Thanks for taking the time to give me a few ideas of meals minus carbs. I too tried smaller bread and butter sized plates but found that I piled them high....lol .

i too grew up being told to clear my plate or I couldn't leave the table, so it is so hard to leave food and throw it away.

As for fruit, I think I eat far too much, sometimes instead of a meal I will have a bowl of fruit salad with plain yoghurt....oops.

i always have in mind that I should eat well, so that I recover, only problem is, I eat too well. Our bodies need protein to repair.

i will try some of your suggestions 😀

• Posted

I've had exactly the same problem, and still do as I need more surgery (on an ankle) so can't exercise much. I have been sent to a dietitian. It's early days yet so I don't know if it will help. But, I was astonished to be told that my diet SHOULD include some bread and some potato! In moderation of course. It had something to do with the fact that if I cut out carbs too much, then any carbs eaten are stored straight to fat and not eliminated from the body. So you actually put on weight by having to little carbs! Don't ask me - it sounds bonkers I know, but the guy is a medical practitioner not a "diet guru" so I assume he knows what he is talking about.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.