Pain in opposite hip

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all I had a thr last Feb sailed through,but I never got back to normal as I always new the other hip needed doing too,I had the other hip done 28th Dec had lots of pain sleepless nights which is calming down now.i can move around quite easily with one crutch around the house I don't have anything, but this afternoon I have an ache and a bit of pain whilst walking in my first hip do u think I may be doing to much walking? As obviously even tho I had my hip done last year I've still never been able to walk far with the other being so bad I'm hoping it's just taking a bit more strain with the other still healing I feel a little bit set back now,

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had my first hip done in May but it fractured at day 19,and then did not have bone fill in it something called a fibrous union.Had 2 nd hip done on 1/3.The 1st hip is more sensitive and painful.It makes sense as it is doing a lot more work.The 2 nd hip was supposed to be done in August but was delayed all the way to Jan as the OS said that first hip would be too stressed .

• Posted

You should mention this to your doctor at follow up, but to be honest, if it is mostly an ache you have probably hit the nail on the head - you haven't been using those muscles much and now got are exhorting them to do some heavy lifting, and they are protesting! I had LTHR in November, also sailed through, and now at ten weeks. For the last two weeks my physio had added more exercises to continue to strengthen the hip because although my right hip is currently ok (severe OA but doesn't hurt at all!) I am waiting for major surgery on the right ankle which will result in at least six weeks non weightbearing and a further at least six partial. So this new hip will have an awful lot of work to do, and she wants me prepared for it. If it is just this once, and provided the pain is not intense, then I wouldn't worry too much. You will only find out what your limits are by trying - and in the end you will only move forward by gently increasing past them. 

• Posted

I agree with you Beth. It's about hedging forwards little at a time without causing damage

• Posted

Thanks I thought that I did lots of stretching and strengthing b 4 this op and I must admit I am a bit further in front with this hip than the first one. I will se how I go I have my follow up in a few weeks I will mention it X
  • Posted

hi nicscott, 

oh, I know that pain in the old new hip ...

at 6 weeks follow up appointment of 1st R THR, xray showed that cartilage of Left hip was almost down to bone on bone from being mild 6 mnths prior ..

total shocker for me at that time - I don't think I ever healed from 1st THR - pain got worse while my new hip was making overtime ... 6months later I had L THR surgery ... that was great !!! like you, moved around easily, got cocky and disgarded my walking aids in the house ... then old new hip started to act up ..

Poor hip ... still fragile  and recovering from this major surgery, I thought she could totally suport me etc ...

not so ...

Please remember that your whole body has been affected by these surgeries .. you are not in balance yet and probably your gait is still pretty off .. 

Do you have physical therapy ? 

It is slow going for a bit ... use walking aids so that you won't limp -

I didn't have crutches but a rollator - 4 wheeled walker and was told to use it in the house up to 6 weeks post op(2ndTHR) - to make sure that my posture was straight and steps were taken heel to toe - 

I am still not out of the woods yet and notice tthat I start limping when walking sloppy ... years of compensated walking still ingrained in brain ...

it is not a set back, darling, just a little notice from your body to slow down ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thank you Renee.I think we have to remember how much our bodies have been through.Even having had that femur fracture with the last hip I have to remind myself this time to take it easy.My leg ached so bad last night I could not sleep.Its really hard to guage when you are crossing those lines.!! Be careful Nescott🌺

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.