Pain in Perineum

Posted , 8 users are following.

Do any of you guys get pain in the Perineum, the region between the testicles and the anus?

I have been experiencing this, on several occasions, with no discernable pattern, for several years now and I am putting it down to my BPH.

It normally happens at night, where it disturbs my sleep, and takes the form of, at first, a slight discomfort. This discomfort slowly grows as the pain, in the form of a dull ache, intensifies until it reaches its peak about ten minutes in. The pain continues for aproximately ten minutes more whereupon it starts to diminish and, over the course of the next ten minutes or so vanishes.

So, in total, the pain lasts for about 30 minutes but, as with any pain, especially in the middle of the night, it seems much longer.

At its peak it is extremely uncomfortable and is difficult to place where it actually is. It just feels like it is 'right between your legs. Deep inside you but you cannot put your finger on it'.

It almost feels like a 'cramp', a cramp in the prostate almost, if such a thing is possible.

Just wondering if any of you have experienced this with BPH.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

From experience what you put it down to sounds about right.

kind regards

Howard.

• Posted

This same pain started for me only after my old urologist did a digital rectal exam (finger) that hurt.

I had other digital rectal exams by another urologist just 3 weeks prior, and during my annual exam 5 weeks prior, and no pain whatsoever, as it has always been for years.

Has this happened to anyone here? If so, how long did it last and did you ever find out the cause?

• Posted

"deep inside but you cannot put your finger on it". biggrin

But seriously what might be causing this [apart from your BPH] is a small haemorroid.  Digital exam may have stirred it up!

Is it worse with a full bowel or flatulence?

Are you on treatment for the BPH?

• Posted

Hi Simon,

I mainly experience this pain, as I mentioned, whilst in bed, usually in the 'wee small hours' where it wakes me. I have, on rare occassions, experienced it during the day. I don't equate it in anyway to having a full bowel or flatulance. It just 'develops' as described. It occurs at random intervals, without warning, which can be weeks or months apart

And yes, I am currently taking Tamsulosin and Finasteride.

• Posted

Hi Stephen,

Forever my doctor's have told me my prostate might be slightly enlarged. This new urologist stated I have a small prostate. All these from finger exam.

How accurate is this method in determining size? And if it is small, does that mean my symptoms are not casued by bph?

It is not worse with flatulence - with a full bowel I haven't noticed but I will now. Why, is it that way for you?

Has any doctor performed any exam to determine why you have this pain?

• Posted

Hello Bob,

As I mentioned to Simon, above, no, it is not worse with a full bowel or flatulence, I cannot link it with anything other than, in my opinion, my BPH. That is why I posted my original question, to find out if others experience similar.

I haven't had any medical exam specifically to investigate this because, as mentioned, it is so sporadic however I have mentioned it to my doctor when I went regarding my BPH but he seemed to find little interest in it concentrating more upon the urinary difficulties I am having.

As far as how accurate a 'finger exam' is in determining the size of the prostate, that I do not know. Perhaps someone else on here can answer that question for you.

Take care.

• Posted

Hi Stephen, I have the same pain on some occasions during my sleep. Usually, the pain is so severe that it wakes me up. The first time this happened I put it down to my Prostatitis problems, but after mentioning it to my brother he said that he experiences the exact same thing from time to time. He also mentioned that he had had it checked out and was told by his doctor that it was related to internal hemorrhoids, which I also have but haven't received any treatment for yet. You might want to check for hemorrhoids.
  • Posted

Hello Stephen, I experience the exact same thing, and I mean exactly like that, most times it happens over night (yes it wakes me up too) or early morning, the pain starts growing onto something I could describe as a very sharp cramp, it is most likely caused by internal hemorrhoids, which I recently been having too (slowly working on them), the better explanation I could find is that the cramp happens when the bowel starts building up in the colon, which in a way bothers the hemorrhoid/s, it lasts for about half hour. Probably nothing to worry too much about, even though I know how sharp the pain can be, try changing your diet and bathroom habits, but remember it's always good to check with your doctor to be sure. Best regards and stay strong, you are not alone on this.

• Posted

Hi Hugo, Just noticed your reply to this old thread of mine, for which I thank you. When I look up the symptoms of internal hemorrhoids I find.....Internal hemorrhoids are usually present with painless, bright red rectal bleeding when defecating.... I do not have any such bleeding and have never experienced it. Do you experience such bleeding? Nowhere have I read that they give rise to the type of pain/discomfort which I describe. I do suffer with irritable bowel syndrome which does not help the situation. I currently take fybogel twice a day which helps maintain regularity for I do find that any hint of constipation has an adverse effect on my urinary symptoms. Take care and thanks again for your reply.
    • Posted

Hello Stephen, yes I had some bleeding, and during this period I experienced the cramps. I Changed my diet, my toilet habits and keep doing exercise, also I drink more water, I have improved significantly and the cramps are pretty much gone, somewhere I read the cramps were related to the hemorrhoids, in my case it seemed to be the case, I wish all the best for you and any other experiencing this, stay strong and very important stay positive.
  • Posted

I too feel sudden sharp pain after masturbation. Prostate is a gland so it enlarges when it does not get enough nutrients ( like zinc and selinium etc) (remember goitre). so please take some supplements (multi vitamin mineral) for two months. donot masturbate more than once a week. frequent masturbation is not good for health.

If you have back pain and pain near your groin it may be due to inflamation, which is a result of ejaculation. so take antiinflamatory (after consulting with a doctor) for a WEEK. as antiinflamatories have severe sideeffects be careful with them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.