pain increased

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was diagnosed with pmr about 4 months ago and started on 20mg prednisolone. After a couple of weeks my gp reduced my dose to 15mg. Over the last 3 weeks or so my pain has increased considerably. I've been having blood tests every 4 to 5 weeks and although my markers have gone down slightly it hasn't been a significant amount. I saw my gp on friday and he has now increased the pred back up to 20mg. Does this sound normal? I thought that the pain would only get worse when you were reducing the pred?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Last two questions!  1) Yes!  2) If only!  Usually pain relief comes within a few hours/to 2 days after beginning Pred. It then increases, and if you are unlucky, increases and increases - that is why we all take Pred.

Your doctor reduced the Pred far too quickly.  Luckily he has seen his error and has put you up to 20mgs again.  Read the 'dead slow/nearly stop' posts on this forum - they seem to be the only reliable reduction plans available, and they work for nearly everyone.  

Your doctor, and later your rheumatologist, will both try and force you to reduce quicker - it doesn't work!!!!

Hope you are one of the lucky ones and have a short PMR journey.

Regards from C. 💐

• Posted

First you have to 'contain the pain' remember the underliying 'problem' is still there. The steriods will reduce the pain considerable - at least by 70% within a few hours of starting. The return of any pain is either it's not enough at this time - so stay on the higher dose a little longer - or it's not PMR.
    • Posted

Forgot to add that reducing from 20 to 15 mg is way above the recommended 10% max reduction. You could try dropping to 19 mg and see if the pain level is the same as 20?
  • Posted

Deborah, I was also started on 20mg pred for a week by my gp in April.  It reduced my pain within a few days.  He then cut me back to 15mg and my pain started increasing.  He used this as a confirmation that I actually did have PMR.  Put me back to 20mg and referred me to a rheumatologist who kept me there for 3 mos.  I just started my taper to 17.5mg.  So far so good.  Plan to be on this dose for 1 month then cut back to 15 and stay there for another 2 months if all stays well.  Good luck.
  • Posted

Deborah, now he has upped your preds to 20mgs, stay on this dose for 6 weeks. I think maybe your problem was that he reduced you too soon, 3 weeks, and the dose of preds didn't have enough time to really get hold of all the inflamation and then jeep,it under control. To then err on the side of caution then reduce by 1 mgs every 6 weeks thereafter. When you get down to 10mgs then follow Eileen's dead slow and almost stop tapering method. But it is important that you get all the inflamation under control at every dose otherwise what could result is flares then upped preds which in the long run makes it harder for this condition to keep under control. Good luck, christina 
  • Posted

It is very typical.  You may be reducing too much to fast.  Most reduce by as high as 2.5mg every month to 6 weeks or 1mg (most common) per month or so.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.