Pain is back

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been on several medications for a month now after suffering for almost 5 months in pain.I was happy that the medication seemed to make life easier, but unfortunatley that is all coming to an end. In the last couple days my pain seems to be increasing again in my hands and knees and shoulders and pretty much all over my body. I have severe migraines every single day and I feel sick all the time with some pretty horrible stomach pains. I am worried the medicine quit working and if that is true then WHAT? I have to start all over with new medications or have another 5 months of pain before I will get some relief again. I just am pretty bummed out that after maybe a week or two of some less painful times that my pain is coming back and it seems worse if that is possible. So I called my doctor and she will get back to me tomorrow. Wish that nobody had to go thru this pain and taking medicines every day seems depressing. Some one just tell me it gets better and that maybe someday I might be able to run again or hold my granddaughter for more than a few minutes. I just feel defeated.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hang in there...rheumatoid is a damnable disease BUT with biologics it can be reduced, quieted, or even pushed into remission.

At 11 I developed juvenile rheumatoid arthritis...I was just 65...what I went through for the first 38 years was a nightmare...but not any more.

Rheumatoid morphs...it is not driven the same way in all people. It is important to modify your lifestyle so that you can do qhat is important to you. If you use up your energy running up the stairs, if you carry all of the groceries in at the same time, you clean the entire house in a day...slow down, pace yourself, plan ahead what you want to accomplish each day, lay clothes out at night si that when you have morning stiffness you can give yourself a break. And schedule in rest time, not to be confused with sleep.

Rheumatoid hates drafts, all drafts. Rheumatoid hates being cold. One of my best investments was a Sunbeam heated mattress pad. Even in summer I keep it turned on at 1. This reduces morning stiffness

And get a heating pad, rest and elevate sore joints...do not force your body to perform but do not become sedentary.

Visit a physical therapist to learn valuable range of motion exercises and do them skowky three times a day.

And be cheerful...I love it when I get to chill and read a book all day.

And pace your activity.

Kind regards,

judith

• Posted

Thank you so much for your respose. Sorry but the day I posted that was just a very rough day for me. I understand it is something that I may have good days and bad days, but I work a full time job that I am on my feet for almost none stop all day and I use my hands almost none stop and some times the pain is just too much. I usually have roughly 3 to 4 hrs a day when I can handle with less pain to be some what normal, but the rest of my day I am exhausted an in extrememe pain. I had roughly a week in the last almost 5 to 6 months where I felt ok enough but it seems to all be coming back. I think I was just venting and I guess worried what will happen. I guess if you have had it for years you may have more time to adjust or process some of that fear, but I have only had a few months and everyone around me is telling me to quit my job, or to work thru the pain, or to not be afraid or etc.... But since it is my body and my pain I guess it will be when I can process it all and maybe I can take the pain and not be so afraid. I get sad just hearing how others have suffered or been in pain and I never paid much attention to this disease before because I do not know anyone who has it in all their joints like I do. Most family or friends I know have it in their hands. so I do not think they fully understand not being able to go to the bathroom alone, or make dinner for everyone like I always have or be able to dress myself when the pain is really bad. I will try to be cheerful and it will get better
  • Posted

Hi Sammygirl, I've Been on various meds like you trying to find ones that work best, it seems to be a long painful process with a few knock backs along the way. Have they suggested you take Predisnolone temporarily until it settles down again, it worked for me. I am now on low dose Methotrexate and Cimzia injections, I had a few bumps along the way until they kicked in properly but I'm feeling better now than I've done in years. Just keep talking to your rheumatologists and letting them know your pain levels, if they don't help you, change to someone who will listen. I'm 64 by the way and grossly overweight from being sedentary through exhaustion, pain and depression. I'm now at a gym and getting fit and laughing! See, there is light at the end of the tunnel so keep pushing and it will get better. Good luck.

• Posted

I can't help but want to say what beautiful advice Judith and Mary gave. Let's not give up hope . We will find the right medication and able to live like a normal person one day.

• Posted

Once they get you on the right medications, you will be able to do all those things.  It took me two years of horrible pain before they got it right for me.  I know that Remacade which is what I'm on will one day not work for me and then I'll have to find something else that does but until then, I'm able to work out and hold my grandsons. Keep the faith, and know that through trial and error, they will find something that works for you.

• Posted

Thank you for the uplifting messages given in response here.  Just diagnosed in the past yr and all of this is so overwhelming and very depressing to have to deal with

Obviously we can't always write an uplifting note when we are dealing with pain and all the side effects of meds and loss of mobility but it helps to read positive notes about searching and finding the right meds, staying strong and trying to remain  positive.    Some days are going to be better than others 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.