Pain management

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all 

Got spondylosis in my lumbar spine as well as 2 herniated discs and problem with the sacro illiac joint. been back and forth seeing docs. 3 weeks ago i was taken off Amytriptiline as it was causing blurred vision. Sent into hospital to have Epidural steriod injections and put on a drug called Duloxetine for pain and depression

My problem is the injections dont seem to have worked and neither do the pills at the moment. feel like i am at my wits end need a solution as to what meds are good and dont make you feel groggy. I have tried co-codamol didnt touch pain and tramadol gave me terrible hangover feeling. 

Just got to a point after nearly 8 months of pain tempted to put my head in the oven if you get my meaning. i am trying to battle on with work and life but feel like just laying down and giving up. Anyone tell me whats worked for them would appreciate it 

Thanks Lisa 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Ask your doctor about Gabapentin.

I take that with Vicotin and Diazepam as well.

• Posted

Make sure if you try gabapentin or lyrica, that the doc explains all the side affects of these meds. They made me nuttier than a fruit cake. I am not saying they won't work for you. Just please be aware. The cymbalta you mentioned didnt work for me either. I can't take narcotics because I am trying to get back to work as a firefighter/paramedic. I had 5 lumbar surgeries the last two were fusions L4-S1. I still have pain in the back and nerve pain and numbness down to my left foot, where i had drop foot, which has improved. I find going for walks helps quite a bit. Good luck, and I am sorry you have to go through this. I know all to well.
    • Posted

My heart goes out to everyone that lives w daily plan, it's not easey
    • Posted

Hi, yes, Lyrica doesn't really touch my pain and does mess with my brain, memory.  I have L5/S1 going but prolapsed L4/5 and L3/4. Like you fed up if thats what you do for a living I would try lyrica but if it does like we have said, it messes my brain up by me forgetting things, sometimes I can't remember a simple word like "bus" and I have to think like hell to remember words and then I say oh forget it.  Who was your surgeon as I think you are from the UK and have you been on ADRSupportUk. I knows its for people with artificial disc replacement it also covers lots of other things.  I found it very helpful - I don't think Patient was going in 2003/4.  But anyway the person who runs it also has a list of surgeons who people have recommended.  But do you have private insurance.  I think the surgeons who have private insurance patients do things quick, I know I went to Dr Shackleford in Warrington for decopression and he said "next week".... I don't have private insurance I had to pay.

Difficult isn't it to know what to take and you have to go to the dr every time you want something which means time off work... My daughter says England is so behind the times. Gabapentin, pregabalin and Lyrica they say they are the same but I found that they didn't have Lyrica in Bendirom and it was replaced by Pregabalin. She said it was the same but I was much better painwise with it.

Differnet people, different strokes I have to say, what suits one person, doesn't another and you have to go through it all to get something that suits. You can read on line anyway the reviews of some medications and what they contain etc. I take Pazital as well which is Tramadol 38% and the rest is Paracetamol. Then I read an article that said Paracetamol doesn't work on pain, so what do you do. I have to say I take a v low dose, according to the hospital dr but not taking any more - hope you get your pain better. My partner was a policeman and believe it or not doesn't know what sugery he had but I think he had fusion at S1 (looking at him lol) this was caused by the someone in the miners strike throwing a barrell at him, so I guess you must do some awkward and dangerous work.  Good luck chuck and hope you find something soon. 

• Posted

Hav you tried buremorphorine transdurmus patches they might help but start at 50mg first as they might make you feel sick and see what pain relive they give you , also ask to see a pain management physotheripst
  • Posted

Hi Lisa, meds sound very similar to what I  have been trying. Side affects are different to many people, always been told it will take time to find the right one!

Had a lower spine/nerve problem for over 25 years, only 6 months ago had to give up work. I have finally found something that helps called Palexia/Tapentadol.

Side affects for me have been quite strange, but I must admit, pain has been reduced. Just wondering if you have tried this. SCS has been mentioned to me, although I am a perfect candidate, Im just not sure on what the future would hold as I am only 45. Going to see pain management physios again tonight, although I dont feel its doing me any good.

Gerry.

• Posted

Hi lisa

you sound in a lot of pain , i can only tell you what happened to me ibf it helps, or at least gives more ideas, i had 4 prolased disc about 20 yrs a go.i was give co-proxamol which is no longer avilable a unlicenced drug.it helped with the pain ,but was not the answer like you i had steriod injections, nerve defrafaction, this is where they burn the nerve end, also bottocs injections , they gave short relive , finally i was referred to a pain consultant , who sergested a spinal chord stimulator , i attended a 2 week residential at st thomas hospital , had the nevro implant 5 1/2 years ago and hav not looked back with what i learnt on the residential to go along with this, i finally hava life , i am not out of pain totally , but out of 10 i would score at this very moment 3 hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Colin

Thanks for your positive story it's given me a boost to think maybe I won't have to live with this pain forever but just hard trying to stay positive and battle on with your daily life when you feel like laying down and giving in... Honestly if this was a limb I would of seriously considered amputation that's how much it hurts... Thank you for your support

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.