Pain meds

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've posted on here before but as my journey continues I keep having more questions so....here goes....what kind of meds are people in Australia taking? I was started in hospital on Targin and Endone (I'm now 6 and a bit post-op) and have been taking Endone (repeat prescriptions from the GP) ever since, along with 2 panadol. I have been taking these 3 times a day, before exercise, the last one carrying me overnight.

My question is this:

I'm due for another script but now have experienced a different kind of pain - more along the lines of hyper-sensitive areas (they feel like someone is rubbing sandpaper on the area) and wonder if it is nerve pain that a relative experienced following TKR number 2. If so, should I continue with the Endone or move to Lyrica which she was prescribed. My brother also has a bulging disc and he takes Lyrica for that. 

I hope someone can suggest what I should do. Drs appointment tomorrow and want to go "forearmed" with some information.

Are other people still taking pain meds at just over 6 weeks?

Thanks. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was off all narcotic pain meds by 6 weeks, simply because you can't drive while taking them, and since I live out of town no public transport I needed to get back into my car. ( also Australia.) .

whatever you do don't come off the narcotics suddenly otherwise you are going to have withdrawals . ...

lyrica is a great drug for nerve pain, you could try it and see how it goes since it was prescribed for you. You will soon know...good luck tomorrow.

• Posted

Thanks Mary. Lyrica was prescribed for my relative and brother but I'm thinking I might see if the dr will prescribe it for me. 
  • Posted

Hi lorene, I'm in Canada but was given hydromorphone, I stopped taking it about 2 weeks ago ( I am now 5 weeks post op). I am only taking an OTC pain reliever advil but for sure it doesn't workon the hyper sensitivity...my dr sais tho it isnt really nerve pain it's the skin that is hyper sensitive. My mom has diabetes and takes lyrica for the associated nerve pain. Hope your appointment goes well and that you get some help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.