Pain near right hip 9 months after right TKR!! Help!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all. It's 9 months since my TKR and for the last 3/4 months I have been getting aching type pain at the very top of my thigh, near my pelvis/hip. No painkillers seem to help. Could it be related to the TKR? My recovery from TKR has been very slow and painful. I still take opiates . I just can't believe I;'m still in so much pain!! cry

1 like, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. I am in the same boat as you. Me being 6 months post op. VERY slow healing. I had had 5 arthroscopies before my TKR, two of those included a lateral release. I too have that exact same pain in the hip/groin as you. Especially when trying to give my leg a good stretch. Still in pain and going back to work on the 19th. 6 days a week/10hours a day. I am DREADING it!!

I'm sorry I can't be of any help, but I wish you the best xo

• Posted

Oh you poor thing! Going back to work!! Nobody prepares us for this surgery do they?? The surgeons lead you to believe in 3 months everything will be just fine!! I'm retired thank God! I don't know how working people manage! 

I've read on here in months gone by that people can develop problems in the hip area because of the long time we are limping and walking weird from our pain! I tell ya, if I knew then what I know now...I would not have gone through with it!! But....people on here have also said that it can take 12-18 months to feel "normal" again. Maybe you and I are in that catergory! 

I wish you all the best too. xx

• Posted

No, they certainly do not unfortunately. I feel the same as you as far as wishing I would've never went through with this. I would've kept the pain I had and dealt with it the best I could. I sure hope for a miracle for us within the next few months. Xo

• Posted

I had TKR 4 and a half years ago.

My consultant was very realistic with me and said it would be about a year before I began to feel the benefit.

Better to be honest at the beginning then atleast you can make an informed decision about whether to go ahead with the operation.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Oh you're lucky you had such an honset surgeon Sarah! Wish mine had been that way! Are you happy with the results of your surgery?

• Posted

You may be holding your hip in an effort to protect your knee.

Perhaps a neoprene knee compression sleeve...it is specifically made to cradle to patella, knee cap. One should be available from the pharmacy. you will need to measure the circumference of your knee in order to determine the correct size.

It is best to elevate your knee above your heart while placing a frozen gel ice pack beneath the knee as well as on top of the knee for an hour while you read, telly, chat, knit or whatever.

Then extend your leg straight up and hold it up for 30 seconds. Now slip the sleeve on. Be sure to properly allow the sleeve to cradle your patella, the knee cap. Flex your knee a couple of times to ensure that your patella is able to properly glide without impingment.

In about another hour you should have much less discomfort and pain. You may sleep in the sleeve. You may walk in the sleeve.

You will be pleasantly surprised at how much easier walking and range of motion exercises will become because the swelling will come way down.

Also, pactice walking in front of a mirror...go for quality. Better to use one crutch on your good side than to limp without one.

• Posted

My TKR turned out fabulously well...until I fractured my femur and therefore the upper aspect of my TKR...the neoprene sleeve saved me from a lot of hours of pain. A revision is not possible because my femur would simply shatter...so I still use my sleeve for pain management....just through it into the washer but put it on a towel to air dry.
    • Posted

Hi, ihavenonickname, could you please tell me the brand of your sleeve and whether or not it matters if it has the hole in it?

Thanks in advance!

• Posted

yes, the hole is important to allow your knee cap to slide

Amazon

Safe-T-Sport knee brace by FLA Orthopedics

• Posted

I second that I wear mine when needed really makes a difference to cradle the knee cap. . Also wear spring shoes takes the pressure of the knee. 
  • Posted

I'm so sorry to hear this I'm only at 4 months and my recovery is going very slow. The swelling and pain has me so down right now that I lost the Christmas spirit. And u have 5 months ahead of me. I hate to say this it's depressing news. I do hope u start feeling better. Have you went back to work?

• Posted

Oh I'm so sorry I have upset you Shari! You must remember, we all heal and recover differently. 4 months post op is still early days. Don't let my slow recovery inhibit your progress. We "slow coaches" are in the minority. May I ask how old you are? I am 60 and I didn't have access to physio for several weeks after my surgery. (I live on an island) I know things  could have been very different for me if I could have gone to a rehab centre for a couple of weeks before being sent home to my island. I am retired so going back to work isn't an issue for me. Please don't let my experience put you off. But we all must be allowed to tell the truth on here. For most people it is a much easier road. Hang in there. smile

• Posted

Island? do tell....I will take the island and you can have the rehab hospital...
    • Posted

aaaaahhh, you are close...hang in there...one day you are going to wake up, go about your day, and climb into bed without any difficulty.

Each person is different...we all pass through the same stages...just at our own speed...

After tecovery, Inoticed that I could no longer pull my foot to me buttock on the replaced side...but that is the only difference between them...okay, and the scar

• Posted

Haha!! Yes it sounds lovely doesn't it? And it is! But not when I can't do the things I used to love...like going kayaking, swimming etc. I live in a house on the water but it is quite a long steep walk down to the water and as yet I can't manage it. sad

• Posted

Hi, I'm also 60. You really did not upset me. Im so tried of not being able to walk and ride my horse. Sitting around my house is driving me crazy....I know I have to let my knee heal. I have been going PT from day one. I did call my dr. And I'm seeing him on Wednesday. My therapist said my whole leg was swollen and she's running out of ideas. Right now she has me in the pool for therapy. If im on my knee more than 2 hours I'm hurting. Now we are getting snow.

• Posted

Oooh the pool is the best place for you! Oh how I wish I had access to one! We are way too young for this surgery aren't we?? I'm glad you're seeing your doctor. Maybe he will have some answers for you. Meantime we just have to suck it up I'm afraid! You're doing the right thing...seeing your PT regularly. Keep up the good work!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.