Pain, pain go away!!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Always thought that I was strong but this damn diverticular disease is really pulling me down. Like many of you, I have had all sorts of tests and taken every medication....... nothing helps. The back pain is connected to diverticular disease apparently, affecting the sacroiliac joint causing more pain. Lately, I have woken up feeling very nauseous and it can be quite debilitating....... especially alongside the diverticular disease. Mine is predominantly right side so took longer to diagnose as the hospital thought it was appendicitis!! Has anyone found anything that helps???

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi  Shirley, Sorry to hear you are feeling very unwell.  I have sufferred through 7 years of diverticular disease - left sided mostly with back pain. Even when the BM's are moving it leaves me totally drained, tired and fuzzy headed.

To help with the situation I have been following the low residue diet layed out by the Mayo Clinic along with taking Benefiber twice daily - with morning coffee/breakfast & after dinner in a hot or cold drink. 

I eat only cooked food, low in fat, rich in quinoi, brown rice, with your choice of 1/3 cup of 2 cooked veg with each meal and small portion of mince, lean chicken, etc.

I am able to order from a local business meals that suit my diverticular disease that are heart healthy, follow Canada Health guidelines. 

They help out when am not feeling well enough to cook.

Hope this helps. Please don't hesitiate to email again if you want to.  Donna

• Posted

Hi Shirley, I really feel for you.  No one can appreciate how bad it can be unless you experience it.  I too am trying anything and everything to reduce flare ups.  Thought I'd cracked it as I went three months without pain, but then had two attacks in one month requiring antibiotics both times.   I now have Lepicol every morning as well as manuka honey & lemon drink and a bowl of bran.  I aim to drink a minimum of 2 litres of water per day and then have two Senna tablets every evening.  I do all of this religiously and still I get ill, despite my consultant saying I should be fine.   Looking more likely that I will need surgery at some point.  i just keep trying everything in the hope it works.  Good luck.  
  • Posted

Hi Shirley

Go back to doctors and keep on until they offer tests. I've just had my 2nd op in 4 weeks. After my diverticulum erupted with hole/sepsis and emergency keyhole surgery I thought I was safe. No, more pain right sided and another admittance this time a bowel stricture and more infection. I had emergency operation ended

up with a colostomy.

I put up with abdo pain/upset tum I thought thru stress over 3

years I wished I'd acted on it more,

if you feel in pain go to A & E don't leave it until high temp,aches etc

• Posted

Hi Shirley,i find that after the flareup has subsided its best to keep things moving in the toilet department eg lots of fiber foods ,fresh food so no ready meals,I cook everything from scratch now,eat lots of fresh fruit and i take Lepicol every morning with my porridge and 1hr before my evening meal and drink lots of water,this obviously means i pee alot more but its a small price to pay for being well, i also try to do some form of exercise most days, not anything too strenuous ,maybe 20 minutes walking,ive also started taking a probiotic every day aswell ,hope this helps and you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Hi Yvonne, Your advice works in the early stages of this disease. I am into it for 7.5 years and a low residue diet due to deterioration of the bowel no longer is advisable to eat fresh fruit/raw veg or high fiber grains and cereals. They are too hard on the damaged bowel.

When I am feeling well enough a prepare all meals - they are basic meat and pototoes, veg.( peas, carrots turnip,beets, beans, squash etc.) in small portions, low salt, no sauces and little fat as possible in preparation. Small portion sizes overall. 

The disease changes as you go along and in accordance with flares that are unpredictable and unpreventable no matter how careful you are.

Lots of fluids, tea, coffee minimally, water water water, diluted juices etc.

I have speciality meals prepared by the hospital, along with canned in water sliced peaches, pears etc. for desserts.  Whole wheat cream of wheat OK, shreddies eaten soggy,  so is a scrambled egg 1 piece of whole wheat toast once in awhile as eggs tend to constipate.  I take a fibre supplement twice daily and a probiotic pill (which are not proven scientifically to work - more a placebo but I take it anyway).  

I am glad you are in maintence mode and hope it lasts for you. Best. Donna

• Posted

Like all of you, I have tried and keep trying to find the best "diet". Mine is predominantly right side pain which has been slowly getting worse over the last two or three years. It seems to be one of those unrelenting illnesses/diseases that slowly take over your life and yet there is no cure. I have seen a top consultant who did a colonoscopy and told me that it is diverticular disease and to keep hydrated and eat sensibly. That was all!!!! I have met many people who have been given the same advice but nothing more. The hospital has several wards with people suffering from the same disease and the treatment seems to be the same for everyone....... Pain relief, bland diet and rest. Sadly, no one seems to have any answers. Thank goodness we have each other to offer advice and listen to the moaning and frustration!!!!!! xxx
  • Posted

Hi Shirley, I found your comment regarding back pain affecting the sacroliiac joint causing pain very helpful and I have added new stretches to my physio regime that have eased the pain a bit. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.