Pain relief

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone been prescribed Amitriptyline for pain due to osteoarthritis? Despite taking a range of analgesics I'm finding the pain in my joints so much worse on a night preventing me fro getting any sleep. I do take 20mgs of Amitriptyline which was prescribed about 10 years ago when I had severe neck pain long before I developed my joint problems and osteoarthritis was diagnosed but I'm now wondering if a higher dose would help.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes Matron, I was.  I suffer from severe osteoarthriitis in the neck which is not only pain in the neck but severe pain inside my head 24 hours a day.  It started with tension and throughout the years it has expanded to what is today.  Due to my job I resisted taking Amitryptilin for years but I finally surrendered when ordinary painkillers didn't work.  As I am now retired my GP prescribed 10mg a night which didn't work.  It was increased to 20mg which did work and did wonders for the pain.  However, I found that it took me a long time to wake up and start the day and that I was an accident to happen sometimes.  I also started putting on weight around my middle which caused me dislike myself and making me depressed. Apparently it interferes with your metabolism. In the end I just went cold turkey and stopped - it is now two months that I haven't taken it.  I am functioning better as a person but I also deal with a lot of pain on a daily bais - almost non-stop pain. My nights are absolutely horrendous.  I feel pain even in my sleep and my partner says that I am moaning and groaning throughout the night. I guess you have to make a decision which priority is more important to you.  For pain and comfortable sleep it performs miracle.  Give it a few days to settle into your body and you will see results.  But for me I wasn't ready to let go of my body and soul yet, although I am suffering from pain as I am writing.
    • Posted

Hello Ruby. I'm already taking 20mgs at night and it just doesn't have any affect anymore but I have been taking it for 10 years. I was wondering if anyone had taken a higher dose.
  • Posted

yes it works well for me i take 30-40 mg started on 10 like everybody does told me doctor if its really bad i take more without it no sleep at all during the day i'm left with chronic pain full on 
    • Posted

Hello marshall thank you for your reply. It seems as though Amitriptylline can be effective in reducing pain so I intend to discuss this with my GP. Fortunately she is open to suggestions, so fingers crossed she'll let me give this a try. 
  • Posted

i am on that medication started on 10mg i have been on this medication for 2 years.I am now on 50mg i have no problems with it.I would see your doctor if you want to go on high dose.
    • Posted

Thank you reppshouse I I tend to see my GP next week.
  • Posted

Hiya Matron, I've been on this med for 16 yrs now...never had it increased either...I take 25 mg before bed. anytime between ..6-8..as it blocks pain at the nerve ends hence it stops it from travelling throughout the body..it works well for me..I do get a but groggy when getting up still, but once I'm up I'm alright...never stops me from  toilet visits in the night either,..I take it for Fibromyalgia. But I have quite bad Osteo Arthritis too  everywhere, I take 2 Osteo Panadol every 6 hrs too no more than 6 over day...it's stronger than the normal Panadol=500,  it's 600 per tab..slow release...it's over the counter meds too..Paracetamol is Panadol.. Do hope you get the help you need Matron, be blessed, have a lovely day...:-) xxx
    • Posted

Thank you christine for your kind words. I have been to see my GP who really listened to me. I told her I had done some research on Amitriptyline and arthritis, in my case osteoarthritis and she agreed I should increase the dose gradually up to 50mgs which I am now taking. I'm sleeping better, not waking up in pain during the night and although I'm very stiff in the morning I'm not in as much pain. I do have the odd night when I don't get up to go to the toilet and that hasn't happened for years! I did tell her about the severe pain I suffered one morning when it was particularly unbearable and she has given me Morphine Sulphate should that occur again but I don't think I'll be taking it somehow. Thank you everyone for your help and support.
    • Posted

Great you got the meds bumped up..I just happened on your post..I know you wrote it ages ago..it's really good news there Matron, I'm happy for you...there's nothing quite like not getting enough sleep because of pain..it's just too hard to handle the pain the next day..be blessed  and have a lovely day..:-) xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.