Pain relief for lumbar fracture L1L2

Posted , 5 users are following.

I did PT! Water therapy and doctor says no operation and that you will have to live with pain . I want a solution so I just finished acupuncture 10 treatments no relief . I'm starting Tens unit . Who has done pain relief ex lidocaine injection? Who has done something else? I had fractured L1l2 since February. I have osteopenia. Any ideas are appreciated . ProHow

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Like you, I've done it all. Even laser back surgery. Whatever you do, don't do that. One thing you haven't mentioned is decompression. You can do that at a chiropractor office or you can buy an inversion table.

Look for a used one they will be cheaper.

• Posted

Thank you for the inversion idea . I normally stay away from chiropractors Have you tried massage just to exercise those muscles . Another area I would do with caution as face down hurts a lot unless my face is in that lower massage facial position?
  • Posted

I love these "experts" who say "you'll just have to live with it".  Isn't that wonderful advice?😡😡 It really helps you to cope!

Each one of us has our own way of coping - but the pain doesn't get much better.

I too have had acupuncture - it didn't work  - but as it is paid by the national health service over here (Germany) I go once or twice a year anyway.  After all it can't do any harm and might help 'something'!  ( all thise Chinese can't be wrong, can they?)

I also have a Tens machine.  That doesn't seem to work either, but the principal is the same as above.

Constance

• Posted

I played water volleyball so when doctor said I have to live with it I was upset so I committed to beat this thing and started acupunctureacupuncture
    • Posted

You may need to try PT. I did PT for a whole year and although it didn't really help my pain a lot it did give me a lot more flexibility. And it allowed me to do things I couldn't do before like walking distances. And as for massage I can't speak for you but it is way too hard for my back to lay on my stomach. So after trying a couple of different massages I stopped doing it. It just wasn't worth the pain.

• Posted

Thanks Constance the face down massage as you say is painful and I am fearful the will cause a broken bone
    • Posted

Thanks amkoffee I am doing a second round of PT it felt good the other day 

I came from sports @ no pain no gain but this is reverse pain stop immediately . I felt good the other day  less pain when standing

• Posted

Products like the Tens unit only work if it's muscle pain. I too have been down this road with no relief. 

The Inversion table is not for people with Osteoporosis. They never told me this but once I received my unit it said this in the instructions. This hurt my neck when I tried to use it. But I have a very bad neck.

The injections help but they can hit a nurve when injecting this and cause more pain and problems then when you walked in. 

I had a surgeon explain all this to me this way. He told me there are three area's he would never let anyone touch. His eye's, I am speaking of surgery not lens replacement, his heart, his spinal cord. The only way anyone would touch these area's is if there was no other option. He said mistakes can be made and I could be in worse shape then when I came in. Make sure there is no other option. My neck had to operated on for there was no other option. I could not use my hands or hold anything. Now I can. 

Good luck and sorry for your pain my friend. 

• Posted

I appreciate the 3 area don't do talk . I sometimes wonder if pain also comes near hip so maybe an MRI is needed to see if it's not only the back

• Posted

The physio you receive should be to strengthen the muscles lining your spine, and your core, so that they better support your spine.  You should also be taught techniques to guard the back.  For example instead of bending over to pick something up from the floor crouch down as though you are about to sit down.  I find this motion very useful when feeding my cats, for example.  And there are strategies for avoiding having to bend over, like placing grocery bags on a chair so you have to neither bend nor reach to unpack them.  A physiotherapist should be able to give you lots of guidance.  

Another thing that happened to me, which I was unaware of, was the muscles in my back became spasmed.  Dry needling released these spasms (it apparently resets the electrical impulses in the muscles).  You might find something like this will help relieve pain. It looks like acupuncture but it is not the same.  Again, your physiotherapist should be able to determine whether you would benefit from this therapy.  

Seasons Greetings!

• Posted

Thank you for the idea for spasms of dry needling

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.