Pain Still 12 days Post OP

Posted , 10 users are following.

Sometimes we just need a hug in life and this forum is my big hug! I am flying home tomorrow night and just need some reassurance that what I am experiencing is normal.....I am still taking pain killers every 5 hours...My physio says my hip is doing great when he checks everything. I am doing his exercises faithfully and I am walking with a cane. here is my question....I know the "ball" pain at the back of the butt, don't really feel much from incision. My pain kind of goes down my thigh. Is that normal? it's a combo of pain if that makes sense. Are others feeling this? I am guessing it is from the spike put in my leg. I see the surgeon tomorrow and will get an xray. I am getting better but honestly going home I thought I would be in less pain? Thank you for your comments!!!! Should I not feel bad about still needing the pain meds?

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

its still early days i am the same as you 12 days post op for my 2nd hip and i am still on painkillers, and can feel the ball bit too and yes i get the pain down the thigh, i wouldnt feel bad about pain killers if you need them, then take them, you are lucky that you are allowed to fly some drs dont recommend it till 6 weeks or more, hope all goes well with your recovery
  • Posted

All of us are different and need pain killers for a different length of time.  There are no prizes for suffering with pain but not taking pain killers.  What each of us should be doing is aiming for what is best for us and not in competing with each other.  We each have the same aim, to get as well as we can for our own benefit.

Best wishes,

Joan

• Posted

Yes normal, did you have posterior, if so they cut your muscles and tendons and being 12 days out your soft tissue has not healed yet. I have not had butt pain but groin and thigh are normal, you have to get that muscle strengthened. That can take months, I am 13 weeks out and I still have that thigh pain sometimes down into knee. You heal in layers I read from Bonesmart that your tendons heal and mesh around your joints then the muscle heals around all that to hold it all nice and tight so you don't dislocate. They say if you dislocate its usually early on, 3 months is first milestone, 6 months second but could be year before you feel normal. I try to think about process like a vine growing around a broken fence, once the vine strengthens around the fence even being broken the vine holds it tightly together until it dies. My doctor said at 7 weeks you are about 75 percent healed, hope this helps.
    • Posted

The nurse Josephine on Bonesmart said hips heal themselves if given a chance but most people try to do too much which can extend the healing process. Do what is comfortable, shouldn't hurt your body will tell you. What I find difficult is to compare my recovery to others, we all are different so try not to compare you will get there.
    • Posted

Yes it does....I just need to hear the reassurrance......I guess I look at going home and feel I am in worse shape than when I had the surgery because I wasn't taking anything as they had me off stuff for 2 weeks. I am finding I can overthing this whole process instead of just going with the flow....Being home should help that!!! Thanks
    • Posted

Yes I am not doing much at all. That's kind of why I am concerned. I commented to someone I need to stop overthinking it allsmile Thanks!
    • Posted

Everyone I talked to told me I would be glad I did this Savy but after I had it done and people asked how I felt. I would say I am still waiting for the moment I am glad I had this done....... I am starting to get there, once I am totally healed I will probably then say this lol
    • Posted

I think what also happens is we weren't in good shape (pain etc) prior to this.....When I get weak and tired sometimes I just think...I want my life back...It is a journey and I sure hope you feel great soon!!!! Take caresmile
  • Posted

No dear Girl ( you are a girl?)...Don't feel bad at all about taking painkillers.  You are so early on..I am 12 weeks today and still have to take the occasional painkiller and at your stage I was taking all day and some in the night!  Yes my pain goes down front of my thigh too ..I am a bit of a twerp as until I saw the xray and SAW the bit going down the front of my thigh I didn't even think about how the op would work!  I imagined a floating ball and socket!!

​Lovely for you to be going home. Are you having daily blood thinning injections to carry on at home?  If so they were'not anything like as bad as I feared..just went on for 35 dyas!!  Better for me at any rate than the stocking things.

​Speak soon.

Alice 

• Posted

Yes I couldn't look at the operation before I had it. I was really nervous about itsmile I am on blood thinners and wear the stockings....Now I am nervous about that HA! I see surgeon tomorrow before I go and will request a shot if it's necessarry... I take a daily pill... Thanks!!!

• Posted

We all get differing pain  - we know someone else who had the same surgeon as I did, and she skipped out of hospital totally pain free, no limp, nothing - whereas I still have a limp at 4 weeks .......... 

Graham

• Posted

That is what I am finding. A lot of the Canadians that came down here like me left at the same time and seemed to have breezed through it. One lad y was hiking after 23 days......I am totally okay to accept this is normal for some (me) that is comforting, not thinking I have something wrong. Being home will be good as I will hae more to think about that just my healig ha!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.