Pain under left rib cage?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi, does anybody else have this dreadful pain at the bottom of their left rib cage? It seems to be coming in waves and has been going on for about 8 hours today. Had it a week or so ago, but it went off after an hour. This time it just isnt going anywhere and not easing at all. Does anyone have any ideas on what it can be?

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Shazzy - I think that is really something to run by a doctor or if it gets worse call 111 (or whatever it is for non-emergency calss in the UK nowadays). The only relatively banal thing I can think of is a nerve that runs round from the spine into the ribs is trapped, sort of like sciatica in your ribs if you see what I mean. I did have that occasionally. But never for hours at a time.
    • Posted

Hi Eileen thanks, I rang 111 they said go to see doc so I did, he mentioned possible diverticulitis but isnt sure at all. My temp is high but thats not unusual it has been for ages! The sweat constantly drips from my head all day and night, saturates me, feels like there are ants running through my hair and diwn my face, its horrible. Anyway he has given me antibiotics for now and see him next week. Its worse now and. I reckon its been going on since before 6 a.m. As it woke me twicebefore I woke properly x
  • Posted

I wonder if this might be costocondriasis. If you are under stress this might confirm that diagnosis. But this is only a wild guess. You are going to need an x-ray of that part of your ribcage etc so seeing a doctor sounds reasonable.
    • Posted

Thank you Andrew I will definitely look that up. You are the third person to mention that although. I have no idea what it is! Lol
  • Posted

So very sorry for your discomfort shazzy,  I have NOT had that experience, and pray I never will.  Seems like other things keep happining to me.  I get terrible pains when about time to get up in the mornings, in my legs and feet. Comes on all of a sudden. I usually have to get right out of bed and stand up by the side of my bed, holding on the my rollalater....I just stand there for a few minutes until the pain subsides, but yes,  seems like different things happening all the time. Sure PRAY this terrible disease would GO AWAY FROM ALL OF US.  
    • Posted

Yes it is dreadful. I have lots of sharp pains in my feet lately, just seem to be random and my hands, but also a lot of numbness, especially in my right leg it is happening every day up to 10 times a day,now, the top half just down to my knee. Well doc not sure about this. THis is the thing about having auto immune diseases, the pains can be random and mostly unexplainable which makes it frustrating as we dont know how to treat them :-( 
  • Posted

Has the Dr cleared you of mild angina attacks - a friend had that sort of pain and her Dr gave her angina patches which seemed to solve her problem
    • Posted

No, but my pain is nowhere near my chest its right at the bottom of my rib cage, I would say a good 5 inches away from my chest. Its driving me mad now! It has not eased at all and, in fact, over the last hour has become a hell of a lot worse, but as the doctor wasn't terribly concerned I dont want to bother a and e with it. I have had lots of pain relief that hasnt helped at all. It is like a wave that pushes forward then retracts every few seconds, then dies down for a couple of minutes and starts again, only sometimes, particularly the last hour it isnt dying down a couple of minutes it just keeps going, similar to a contraction but at the bottom of my ribs on the left. Dunno why he said possible diverticulitis as I dont have any other symptoms
    • Posted

Ok a lot lower than i imagined - hope the antibotics work soon.  I'd go back to Dr as you said he wasn't sure about diverticulitis- he needs to get this sorted for your sake.  Good luck 
    • Posted

Hi Shazzy, if that pain continues unabated or worsens, if it were me I would take myself off to A&E.  Just because the doctor "wasn't terribly concerned" doesn't mean much.....well at least not where some doctors are concerned!
    • Posted

Thank you I did go in the end as it got much worse. Just back with some diazepam for muscle relaxation x
  • Posted

Hi Shazzy - Regarding the pain in your left rib cage. I agree with Eileen. I personally thing you should go to your nearet A & E department if you have had the pain continually without let up. I have some medical knowledge as I worked in hospital for thirty years and I am finding it hard to relate pain in rib cage with diverticulitis. Diverticulitis relates to the bowel. Did you ask your Doctor why he prescribed Antibiotics for this pain. Good Luck. I do hope you get sorted soon.
    • Posted

GM70???   the pain that shazzy has under the left ribcage??  since you have SOME medical knowledge, do you think it could be something  relating to her LIVER???
    • Posted

OH AND IF NOT THE LIVER, HOW ABOUT THE GALLBLADDER THAT REST AGAINST THE LIVER???    INTERESTING THOUGHT!!!

THEY ARE BOTH ON THE LEFT SIDE UNDER THE RIB CAGE!

• Posted

Yeah I wondered later about diverticulitis and looked it up. I dont have those symptoms. He gave me antibiotics cos my temp was high and my head constantly sweating. Thank you for advice
    • Posted

Yes they are and also the spleen which can be enlarged due to many reasons, including RA and one worrying thing I noticed was Leukemia. It is in my family so got me panicking when I saw that particularly as I had a cancer marker last year, but I am not going to jump to conclusions and dwell on that one, just take the antibiotics and diazepam and fingers crossed! Thanks x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.