Painful Colonoscopy

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had my first yesterday and they found 3 polyps, a hemroid and pitting in my colon. It was excruciating and so painful as they put puffs of air and lassoed my polyps while I begged for pain relief.  They kept telling me that don't worry it is almost over. Three days later, I am sore, have diarraha, lack energy and am not hungrey at all. The head nurse said that I should have general anesthesia next time. Horrible! Beware! Do your homework! Know your doctor.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I cannot believe they didn't give you general anesthesia!! Your poor body has been traumatized. I'm thinking the diarrhea will subside, and your appetite will return.If you're not ok, in a few days, get in to see a Dr.

I don't know anyone who hasn't been put under for this procedure. Unnecessary pain and suffering!

• Posted

hi so sorry to hear about your pain it was the same for me some of us dont feel any pain and fly threw the prosedure and some dont.at least its over now and you will feel a bit rough i did for a few weeks and dident want to eat you need to rest up a bit and hopfully you will get back to being yourself again.
  • Posted

I know how you feel. I had 2 sveral months apart... Funny you say that because I refused the anesthesia the 2nd time after my 1st experience.
  • Posted

Hi. You will feel back to normal soon! I didn't know you could have a general anaesthetic for that. I have read that you have to be aware so you can move if they ask you etc. I was able to remember everything and watch the screen. Fortunately it was not too painful! You've done it, good for you! 

• Posted

Well

Since I'm such a 'chicken' , being given a general anesthesia was great for me! Obviously, all Dr's handle this part differently. If I was A lot braver, having no sedation would have been an ok option.

I'm just glad the colonoscopy is over and done with, at least for now.

• Posted

Hi. I should have said that I did have sedation, but general anaesthesia wasn't offered. I would have chosen it. I am a 'major chicken' and worried myself silly in the days before the procedure. I even asked my dentist if he gave general anaesthesia for some fillings! He didn't. I'm pleased it's all done too. I'm due for another one in about 15 months. Best wishes. 

• Posted

Well

So far they haven't mentioned another colonoscopy, but "yippee"(???!!!) I get to have another endoscopy in October. Just cuz I know it went fine... doesn't seem to help me to be a braver person the second time around! ??

Take care...

• Posted

Agreed! I can cope with CT scans though...I sometimes wonder why they are not done instead of a colonoscopy. Maybe cost? Obviously I'm not a medical person and my Dr has banned me from using Dr Google. My problem was actually found with a CT scan and the colonoscopy was a follow up check a year after my surgery. Funny thing, in the two hours or so after the scan leading up to surgery, I was quite calm. Almost as if It wasn't really me. Anyway, hope all goes well for you in October. 

• Posted

I would think the colonoscopy is much more thorough. Lol, all the 'scopies' seem to give the Dr better visuals. Uh huh, Dr Google, often has me thinking I've got cancer. At least my Dr's just smile when I share with them.

Thank you for your well wishes... I

• Posted

Why they aren't done iinstead? You should you look up the wikipedia page for "CT Scans" and look at the amount of radiation you get exposed to from one and the increased risk of cancer as a result. Each one is like 3 years of normal background radiation exposure.

• Posted

Thanks. Makes sense. I should have realised that! Cheers. 
  • Posted

My uk experience was totally different, no pain, some discomfort no sedation, 3 small polyps removed and back to normal functions in 24 hours
    • Posted

Good for you, you apparently handle medical procedures well. But, I think those of us that run to the 'white knuckle' group are better off with sedation.

I did have general anesthesia but did wake up about 45 min later, and the anesthetic gradually just wore off. I wish I was the kind of person who 'bravely' went thru procedures.

It does bother me that anyone has to experience discomfort in a day when the Dr's can give us options.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.