Painful lipoma

Posted , 3 users are following.

Can lipomas be painful?  i have one below my neck at the back (it's very noticeable when i bend my head forward) but i have pain only when i move my shoulders (ie when i roll them forwards or backwards).  Is this normal with a lipoma or would it be something muscular?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes--In my experience I have found most of my larger lipomas start out to be painful at first and then gradually the pain disappears.  I think the ones on my back were more painful, probably because they experience more pressure--against chair backs, etc.
    • Posted

have you found rubbing some muscular gel helps at all?  i may go back to the GP as i've had this pain for some time now and i'm not sure if it is being caused by the lipoma or muscular or something else.  It just seems to be when i roll my shoulders backwards and forwards or if i move them up and down which indicates to me more muscular but i think i will get it checked out as it has been for a few weeks now like this.  Thanks.
  • Posted

My lipomas tend to hurt for months before the pain goes away, but I never tried muscular gel.  I just let them be.  I have a large one on my upper back, to the right of my spine.  Sounds like similar placement as mine. Do you have other lipomas or is this the only one?  It won't hurt to check with your GP though if you're concerned. Just an FYI...I have found that if I leave sugar alone, my lipomas reduce in size...  sometimes in less than a week.  However, I have trouble leaving sugar alone!
    • Posted

One day i noticed that it hurt and was painful when i touched the back of my neck and i asked my partner if it looked swollen and he said yes.  It sort of feels like a soreness, it's just at the top of my spine below the neck and towards the left shoulder at the top.  I think i will get it checked out again and tell my GP that it hurts.  I've noticed it for several weeks now but can't pinpoint when it actually appeared.
  • Posted

I have plenty of lipomas and all of them are painful. I think it depends on person and also they are more painful when actively growing and expanding. If you are concerned, go to your GP and get it checked.
    • Posted

I went to see my GP yesterday about my painful lipoma and she checked me and said she didn't think it was because of the lipoma but more a muscular issue.  What can you do?  you have to take their word for it don't you?  (that's 2 different GP's i've seen about it).  It does seem to feel a bit better today, not so painful
  • Posted

I have been back to my GP with my painful lipoma and she is now referring me for some physiotherapy.  Why does the lipoma cause pain does anyone know?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.