painful red vulva

Posted , 4 users are following.

If anyone can give me some advice I will be so happy!

I am 21 years old, for the last 3 months I have had a very uncomfortable vulva. It started out as a slight itch in one area, which then spread. It is now a combination of itch/tingling and pain. Different areas are affected at different times (changing almost hourly), and when areas are affected, they are red and slightly swollen. My anus is now also affected. I have tried thrush medication (though a swab test eventually ruled this or any other infection out), I have also tried Dermovate in case it was some kind of lichen planus/sclerosis (though my constantly changing areas of redness probably indicates that it is not one of these as I think the irritation for these conditions is more consistent). My gyno is now considering a biopsy and possible allergy testing. I feel it important to note that this all started about 3 months after going on the combined oral contraceptive pill (millinette 30/75), which I stopped about a week ago (though we dont know if this could have been a causal factor or not). Blood test results have shown that I have normal hormone levels, though I wonder if it could have been some kind of reaction to the synthetic ones (is this possible? has anyone had a similar problem?).

I have changed all my pants to silk/cotton, am washing with a different laundry soap, and am washing my privates with dermol cream. I havent been wearing tight clothes, and take my pants off as soon as I get home.. But so far, no relief! I've tried aloe vera and emu oil, both to no affect.

It's important to note that there are sometimes hours, even half a day, when nothing seems inflamed, but it always seems to come back, usually in a different place to before!

Has anyone had any similar experiences? Do they know what it was and what treatment worked?

Thankyou!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi sorry to hear about your problems. Just to let you know that my symptoms were almost exactly the same as yours - discomfort changing hourly, sometimes disappearing. It took me months and loads of doctors to figure out that it was linked to my back. I had always had a bit of an achy back but the nerves to the pelvis run through there and were being irritated. Even now the doctors won't really acknowledge that this is the cause, but a bit of physio and months of regular core strength exercises have completely solved the problem for me. Maybe give it a go??? Good luck
    • Posted

I totally think thats a legitimate cause. With all the nerves in the lower spine im sure it could affect the vulva.
    • Posted

thankyou so much for your reply!

I will see about looking into that, I know at the moment my gyno is anxious to try allergy testing etc.. Though my natural instinct is that it is hormonal for me (hormonally mediated pvd does come up a bit in the literature).. the only difference being that my pain/swelling is not simply in my vestibule! I really want to try topical hormones but my gyno thinks that would not be wise yet.. I'm just so frustrated! sad

• Posted

Hi amy,Id sudgest a dermatologist as it could be a skin condition. They treat that area of the body as well. Hope you find some answers.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply! smile

I did consider finding a dermatologist, I did wonder if my gyno could collaborate with one at any point so I'll ask him!

• Posted

Hi Amy.   I've been reading a lot of ladies on this site having problems so I decided to give my experience in the hopes it will be of some help.   I had a similar problem to you (I'm 55) and I had all sorts of diagnoses from various doctors and nothing they prescribed helped.  Then I came down with gastro-enteritis and couldn't eat for around 5 days: and the horrible painful itching downstairs cleared right up!  That was my first clue that I was probably sensitive to some food or other.  I did an exclusion diet, slowly re-introducing different foods, and I found that one of the main triggers to the itch was whenever I ate potato!  I'd never even had a problem with it before, but it seems that as I've gotten older, I can no longer tolerate it.  I cut it out of my diet entirely, along with it's plant "cousins" - I found I get a painful itch if I eat any of the Solonacea family, including: potato, chilli, tomato, eggplant, capsicum (I believe they're also called bell peppers?) and tobacco. If I occassionally accidentally eat one of this diverse family, I find that an anthistamine can relieve the symptoms now I'm not overwhelmed by eating them every day.  I hope this helps you - best of luck!

Minamii 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.