painful sigmoidoscopy

Posted , 74 users are following.

Had Sigmoidoscopy yesterday and would need to be dragged kicking and screaming before having another! The hospital staff were lovely, I was given an enema before the doctor came to speak to me about what he was about to do. He was very nice and reassuring so up to then, all was going well. Then I was taken to the treatment room where I was asked to lie on my left side on a bed which had sides on (to prevent escape ha ha) and the procedure started. Boy oh boy, the pain I experienced was terrible cramping all over my abdomen like I had never experienced before (even child birth wasn't as bad as this). The nurses kept reassuring me and asking me to take deep slow breaths but this did not help and eventually having been unable to cope with it anymore, the doctor agreed to stop but did take two biopsies. However, because it was too painful for me to allow him to go any further, he said he was 20cm short of where he wanted to see. Now heres the question. Why on earth don't they just put the patient under total sedation? This way no pain is caused to them, the doctor can look at the area he needs to see and all in all, every one happy. It seems a waste of time to me to put people through such agony when there is a simple solution. The doctor is unable to perform a full examination because it is too painful for the patient so its not cost effective, its cruel and its a waste of everyones time!

7 likes, 208 replies

208 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sedation doesnt stop the pain it just makes you too out of it to care. Usually a Sigmoidoscopy is not painful in the slightest smile
    • Posted

I had a flexi sig on the NHS UK yesterday. Have had 3 kids, one with no pain releif at all as too fast and many operations. I would say that it is quite painful. With me they went to about 70 cms which I think is quite far and I was on the table for about 30 mins. I used gas and air which enabled me to cope. I think other people not used to pain would have cried out with pain. I had a polyp removed and this in itself does not hurt. I was commended for being brave. When I told the nurse before about some of the posts here she was not surprised, which alarmed me! She said it is the air pressure which hurts. 30 hours on I still have some pain. I could not fault my NHS hospital in Newcastle as I was taken into a ward, given tea and a sandwich and not allowed to leave till I felt Ok ish. I was there 3 hours. The pain is like IBS and quite bad at the moment. So if a nurse whose job it is to only to faciliate sigmoidocospies is not surprised at the posts here talking about excruicating pain, I think it is very painful for some people. The pain is like pressure and sharp, too.
    • Posted

I had a flexible sigmoidoscopy earlier this week. Having come across this page while looking for more information about it, I was incredibly nervous going to the hospital as I was expecting it to be very painful. It wasn't at all, it was a bit uncomfortable, but I was sedated and fairly oblivious to it. I wanted to share this so that anyone else who stumbles across this page knows that it's not guaranteed to be painful!

• Posted

Lucky you! I had this procedure this morning and asked for sedation, which was refused. I was told categorically it wasn't painful, which the majority wasn't. However it was hellishly uncomfortable and I am now in a lot of discomfort/mild pain.

• Posted

I had a sigmoidoscopy in 2000, and will NEVER have another or a colonoscopy.  Clearly barbaric.  I have no family history and no symptoms, so I will take my chances.  I am not only avoiding the torture, but the risks of perforation, dirty colonoscopes (as the scopes cannot be disinfected reliably, so it is risk equal to any unprotected anal penetration by a device that is used repeatedly among many people), memory issues related to medications used, rupture of the spleen (from looping), and the list goes on.  Since the procedures are done on an outpatient basis, and often the problems are discovered after the patients are discharged home, they are NEVER linked to the procedure.  The actual "untoward events" are actually far higher that the numbers claimed.  When propofol for total sedation is used, the doctors go VERY fast to complete more procedures which naturally increases the risk of perforation and splenic avulsons.

• Posted

Well that depends on whether or not you've had a previous hysterectomy!

I have and the staff warned me it would be more painful for me as the bowel is lower down therefore the corners are more acute .. and boy were they right!!

It was the most painful 15 mins of my life...and I'm dreading having to have the full colonoscopy 🙄

• Posted

I know this is a very old thread, but I absolutely agree with you. I think people aren't speaking out because they feel they are alone, but I too found it unbearable and had a vaso vagal attack so they didn't as get far as they wanted. I had 2 children, only gas and air for first one, so easy, but this procedure became unbearable once they started trying to get "round the corner". Recently I've spoken to 2 friends and discovered they had almost identical experiences. I don't know why it doesn't hurt some people, whether it's anatomy or down to the operator, but I wouldn't have it done again without anaesthesia.

• Posted

I have had this same experience - twice now. In ten years I'd hoped that things might have improved. The first time I was given an anaesthetic and the procedure was completed. Last week I could only have gas and air and despite being almost out of it on a high I could not stop screaming! I've never experienced pain like this in any other way.

Anyone who thinks you could possibly be so out of it you don't care has obviously not experienced this pain.

I feel really angry about it and may not return for the barium enema I'm told I must have now since they could not examine the full length required. It is absolutely disgraceful to treat people this way - nothing short of torture!

• Posted

I went for a flexible sigmoidoscopy yesterday - it was at short notice ( I was offered a late cancellation). I hadn't time to receive the information about it so had looked up several articles online - all describing discomfort & cramps- but unfortunately I hadn't found this site.

The nursing staff were lovely; the procedure worse than I'd ever imagined. I've had 4 children & managed with gas & air & breathing. I couldn't manage this at all.

I think at the beginning of the procedure it was just very uncomfortable as expected but it then became very painful.

When the scope wouldn't get round 1 of the corners ( though she didn't explain that at the time) she got me to move from my left side to right side & onto my back & then back onto my side and then they asked me to rate the pain on a scale of 1-10 (about 9 I reckoned - I really wasn't with it by then); took some of the air out (reducing the pain to about 6); said I was tachycardic and then I guess decided to give up. I had to stay in the recovery ward for a couple of hours - severe stomachpains & very nauseous. Finally got home & had to lie down for the rest of the day. Today I still feel unwell & am seriously concerned about the barium enema scheduled for 3 weeks time as all the medical staff told me that it would be worse than the flexible sigmoidoscopy.

I think I would have felt the pain/feeling so ill was worthwhile if they'd managed to complete the procedure but to go through all of that & then only have a limited procedure carried out with the warning that you might have to come back again isn't good sad .

The doctor also made me feel as though I was at fault in some way -I think her words afterwards were something on the lines that she'd been doing this for x years & this was the first time she'd only been able to do a limited procedure. I asked if sedation might have helped but she said not necessarily - so if they do the procedure again what are they going to give me?

• Posted

You should have done one on your doctor to demonstrate just how painful they can be.
  • Posted

Hi Everyone,

I had one after having 2 colonoscopies, for which I had sedation and didn't feel much pain at all, but these where performed at a different hospital. When I moved I had to go to a different hospital and when I got the appointment I thought it was funny that I didn't have to have any stuff beforehand to empty my bowel like before and when I got to the hospital I found it was for a flexible sigmoidascope. the staff didn't even give me an enema and the pain was dreadful - had a fan on me as I kept getting panicy and afterwards I felt so bloated and could have f***ed and blown myself home on the wind!!! Thankfully I was discharged and have not had to had anything else done.

I think they should give some form of pain relief as not everyone is the same and this can be a very painful experience and also not a pleasant thing to go see a dr about in the first place.

Hope they do something about it soon for all you sufferers out there.

Jane

• Posted

Nothing seems to have improved as I had the nightmare of having a flexible sigmoidoscopy yesterday and it was excrutiatingly painful.  The staff were busy and barely 10 minutes following the procedure and a cup of tea and toast I was pushed to get dressed and leave although I was still in extreme pain.  I got dressed in the loo and let go of masses of wind but also had diarrhoea.  The nurse came over 3 times while I was in the loo to ask what I was doing and shouted that I had

diarrhoea.  "Are you dressed you"? she shouted through the door and I said yes but was so upset as the pain was awful.  I had to finish my cup of tea in the waiting room before I left as they were so busy and did not care about how I was.  I may need more investigations but I know a barium enema is not so painful, just messy and would have that anytime over this. 

• Posted

I havehad a flexible sigmoidoscopy 2 days ago, in an NHS hospital. The main reason to have it was to examine my haemorrhoids. I had no sedation however when the surgeon saw my prolapsed haemorrhoids, he applied an anaesthetic gel. The procedure itself was more painful than I had anticipated. The air they used to inflate my colon and the liquid they used at some point to rinse it created a tremendous pressure that I’ve felt in my lower abdomen, it brought me into tears at some point. The unpleasant experience was not improved by some inappropriate and idiotic comments made by a second man who was sitting in the procedure room with no apparent purpose other than to chat to the surgeon who was carrying out the procedure. At some point the man said to the surgeon “you look like having too much fun there... this looks like some kind of prostitution”. I didn’t hear any reply to those comments. The nurse was decent and encouraged me to breathe deeply and stay relaxed.

Although I expected to have my haemorrhoids banded during the procedure, I didn’t notice the surgeon doing any of that. Everyone was preparing to leave behaving in the typical mood one has in the end of a working day. As I was pulled out of the procedure room in the trolley I’ve asked the nurse if it was normal to still feel abdominal pressure and pain. She answered affirmatively and said that I needed to “pass wind”. The next moment she left me in the hands of a man who continued to roll me to the changing room and then he left hesitantly after giving me an uncertain look. With my colon filled with the air and the liquid that was introduced during the procedure, I went to the toilet and did what the nurse had advised me to do. Once I had that done, I felt much better. Some minutes later a nurse brought me some papers with the sigmoidoscopy results and asked me to call a phone number to arrange an appointment. Looking at the results I was surprised to read: “Intermittent bleeding and fourth degree haemorrhoids noted. Too swollen and painful for banding.” This explained why the surgeon ended the procedure without any haemorrhoid treatment, which was the main point of the sigmoidoscopy.

The most pain for me though was only about to begin, 15-20 minutes after the procedure when the local anaesthetic faded away. Seemingly the surgeon couldn’t avoid hurting my prolapsed haemorrhoids while operating the device during the sigmoidoscopy. The stingy pain persists to the present moment as I type this, two days after the procedure. Last night I mostly didn’t sleep because of the pain.

Yesterday I’ve called for the next appointment which unfortunately couldn’t have been arranged sooner than mid March that’s in a month and a half time. I am frustrated to have to wait so long and right now in a great deal of pain. I also have a job interview to attend in a week and I feel anxious not to miss it due to my pain, I can hardly walk right now.

If you have to do a sigmoidoscopy, I wish you the best of luck. It will be rather unpleasant but you’ll be fine immediately afterwards. If you are in a similar with me unlucky position to need haemorrhoids treatment, then I deeply empathise with you and I wish you get the right treatment for you and get the best results in the end.

• Posted

I know this was 5 years ago, but I hope you reported the man who said those disgraceful things to the surgeon. Unfortunately women are taught to put up and shut up about predatory men. What an awful experience, I'm really shocked, physically and mentally, and that comment by that man has disturbed me. I had a flexible and rigid sigmoidoscopy yesterday, and the pain from the flexible was horrendous. I was yelling out, tears streaming down my face, and the surgeon didn't stop while nurses prepared the gas and air for me. He was heavy handed trying to put in the rigid scope too after causing me so much pain from the flexi. I'll never have that done again. I'm sure some of these surgeons get off on pain and do it on purpose. I hope your second appointment went better.

• Posted

Hi,

Anybody who says this procedure is just uncomfortable, clearly hs never had one done.

I have had two, the first one around 3 years ago, was so painful that I literally screamed for him to stop, the doctor kept saying he knows its not nice, but he just had to get around the top bend in my colon and needed more air. By tis point I was digging my fingernails so hard into the poor nurses hand and sweat ws running down my face and chest, I was at the point of complete collapse, in fact I would go so far as saying that for anybody who had a heart condition, this was enough to cause them to have a heart attack.

There is no exaggeration here, it is the worst pain I have ever endured and cannot imagine why patients are not put out for this procedure,

~Worst of all last year My GP said I had to have another one done as conditon getting worse, I told her NO but she assured me that this time it wouldnt be so bad as only the very lower portion would need air to expand it. WELL IT WAS HELL FOR THE SECOND TIME... and the worse thing was IT WAS THE SAME Massocistic doctor performing it.... again he made me feel I was a baby, and this time I shouted to him, had he had one of these procedures performed, he said no.. and I told him he then didnt have a clue.

I still have the same problens but I would NEVER EVER GO THROUGH THIS PROCEURE AGAIN. and pity anybody who everhas to....

• Posted

"Anybody who says this procedure is just uncomfortable, clearly hs never had one done."

This is very dishonest to say. How can you dismiss the experience of others so easily and claim to be the only one who deserves to be believed? You are among the few who find this test painful. Do not generalize your own experience. 

• Posted

Andrea for some people (including men who apparently have a shorter bowel than women) this procedure is just uncomfortable.....

But for alot of us it's excruciating!

I had mine 3 days ago and at first it wasn't too bad but as he turned the corner from then on I was in extreme pain (which I was warned would be the case as my bowel is lower due to a previous hysterectomy) They weren't wrong.

So we are all different when it comes to pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.