Painkillers help please

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I'm still in early stages of being diagnosed, was only getting some pains in fingers and wrists, but seems to have really escalated in the last fortnight and have been in a lot of pain and stiff. Had an ultrasound last week and the guy seemed to think my right wrist is a bit knackered, from the questions/comments he made, but won't know more until see the consultant again.

But this morning I woke up and couldn't move my shoulder/neck, completely stiff and very painful. It has eased over the day but still not great. This has happened to me twice before but I thought it was a pulled muscle as it was before all the RA diagnosis starting. Now I'm recognising it could be to do with RA (but obv still don't know, as this is all new to me?). Having a bit of a panic to be honest and in a lot of pain. I am going to London tomorrow with my two children, and need to not be in pain. I have two lots of painkillers that I was given by the doctors, but I have forgotten what he said?? I *think* he said try one, and if it doesn't work on it's own use the other. But I'm not sure if he meant use together, or just swap to the other, and I can't remember which one he said to try first? They are prescribed to me and have dosage instructions on for how many to take a day and how regular, but not the info about which to try first and whether to take together etc. Does anybody else use these and could help please? Really need to get sleep and try to reduce pain, but equally don't want to overdose!!

The pills are Naproxen 500mg (1 twice daily) and Solapol 30mg/500mg (take 1 or 2 4 times a day)

Thanks for any help xx.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, keeping this brief so it doesn't take too long! I'm a Nurse and I am recently diagnosed too.

You can take them together - Solpadol is Paracetamol and Codeine (so don't take Paracetamol too), so is different to Naproxen.

Try and take the Solpadol regularly while you are really sore. Naproxen can be rough on your stomach so make sure you eat something before.

Really feeling for you, so hard when you have kids and in so much pain. Good luck with them x

• Posted

Ps if you are really sore you are probably best just starting both
  • Posted

Codeine makes me really drowsy so i only take at night as i don't feel i am in full control of my son otherwise! I would start with naproxen as doesn't have same effect x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.