painting

Posted , 5 users are following.

Every time i get bored and not working i love to catch up painting,  but again a problem with the breathing thing last time i was ill with it and cant use a mask wi specs as just steam up.  Anyway last time i just got cheapest gloss i found and it even sent the smoke alarm off. Does anyone know if it is safe using a certain type of gloss paint or are they all bad for people with COPD? And also emulision is that okay to use?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Margaret:

You might want to try using low voc paint, would most likely help. Good luck with it.

• Posted

oh right Ha now i know where i went wrong last time as the one i got said High voc but i just didnt know what the heck that was and as it was the cheapest just got it. weird now having to think of everything you do with this illness guess i will get there in the end after lots of mistakes thank you terri
    • Posted

Here in the States you can buy something to add to regular paint & it's supposed to lessen or eliminate the fumes. No idea if it works. Alternatively there might be something you could do to keep your glasses from fogging with the mask. I think there are some products around for bathroom mirrors & car windows, but you could always try the snorkeler's trick, lol

• Posted

I really miss working with wood .. sanding down old furniture is such a relaxing hobby .. but I can't do it anymore for the same reason .. I just can't get on with a mask.

Ah well.

• Posted

Margaret, Are you painting walls or is this artwork?

Seems to me that if you are painting walls, you might want to think of getting a no fume paint such as Behr.  However, in all honesty if you have COPD you have got to be proactive with your case.  Each case is different (some of us have asthma and allergies along with the COPD).  What is the severity level of your COPD.  Can you walk up and down stairs?  Do you use oxygen?  There are so many variables.  You need to really get with your doctor.  And why in the world would a gloss paint set off your fire alarm?  Isn't your home air conditioned.  ???  Geez, this is almost pitiful to take the risks you are taking.  I understand trying to get a less expensive brand, but at the expense of your health makes no sense whatsoever.  Get a list of what you can and cannot do.  You should not be around combustible items, different solutions, even scented candles....you have got to take this as a serious disease.  You can't go back and undo the damage that has taken place to your lungs.  Now, with that being said, you need to take the responsibility of doing things with care and concern, if you want to live with a healthy lifestyle.  Your doctors should have explained all of this to you.   Do you use a Nebulizer?  Do you use and inhaler?  How old are you?  Do you Smoke?  Do you have allergies?  How long have you been diagnosed with COPD and what stage are you in.  This is not something to take lightly, but, it seems you are determined to do something, so I suggest you check out the paints that have no odor....none....and stay away from anything that you have to breath in for more than a few minutes.  Preferably don't do anything that hurts your breathing.  Otherwise, you will not be breathing for much longer.  Best of luck...

• Posted

up until this year i guess i didnt know how bad COPD could get until i had a chest infection then it just hit me, for 4 months struggling every day to walk ect and using inhaler constant but no much help, after spirometry test had fallen from 79% to 39% Ha no i dont have air condition at home, and no none of this was explained to me its just now that im reading everything myself and i dont even have any copd clinic at my surgery, Cut Backs, Had it 2 years but no probs until now im 62 dont smoke now only e-cigs, but yes now i know how daft that was at the time never thought and was fine or so i thought  I got a steriod inhaler which i use once a day now which seems to be helping a lot i just hope i can stay on this what is a nebulizer? Anyway thank you reading that i will def take it a lot more serious, I also do cleaning for a living so i guess i should take more care there also of products i use.  But thats good if i can use the odor free paint so now i can get on with it , Is emulsion safe enough then?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.