Palpitations (+ constant Atrial Fibrillation) - OK to take Thyroxine?

Posted , 4 users are following.

BBC's tv documentary 'Trust Me, I'm a Doctor' on 08/02/2017 described people with results like mine - TSH very high in Normal Range, T4 very low in NR - as warranting further investigation if, like me, strong symptoms exist. My internal neck was severely injured, 21 years ago. Ever since, I've experienced muscle-spasms, poor body-temperature control, unexplained + very sudden weight-gain [4 stone (56 pounds)], extreme tiredness, brain-fog, etc.

Are there any contra-indications for taking thyroixine if, like me, a person has untreated constant Atrial Fibrillation (irregular, fast pulse/ heart-rate) + palpitations? I'm aware T3 medication is thought to sometimes cause heart arrhythmia. But what about the basic thyroxine medication?

Very glad Dr Michael Moseley is currently investigating merits, or otherwise, of Natural Dessicated Thyroid hormone. (I'd be a willing guineapig in, say, London, if he's interested...!) About 18 years ago, in the 6 months I was on it, I felt so much better than after my GP made me instead take synthetic thyroxine + T3 medication. After a year or two on these, there was an error in renewing the prescription, resulting in no more medication.

I aim to ask my family doctor if I can go back on thyroxine. My TSH blood result = 3.77 mIU/L (almost too high for Normal Range in my health district) + in 2011 it was 4.04 mIU/L (beyond NR) but doctor disregarded it.

18 years ago, my T4 reading was too low for NR, but it has not been tested for over 15 years.

Aged 36 years, my troubles started when I was dropped onto my front, while unconscious with a stiff tube down my throat. Consequently, severe damage was done to a disc in my lower-neck (C5-6) + dislocation of Right jaw joint and Right shoulder. It seems probable damage occurred to my Vagus Nerve, and/or the thyroid - or its function. Hypothyroidism also runs in my family.

Hoping for experiences/ideas from folk here. Very informative in other discussion areas!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

LizUK

?I have Atrial Fib and hypothyroid. On 50mcg of thyroxine. They watch my TSH carefully as hypo can cause Afib as in my case. Also to much thyroxine can cause Afib episode. Have had no more serious issues with afib, just some small episodes. And when Doc had to increase my thyroxine due to slight increase in tsh he only had me increase by 75mcg 1 day a week and 50mcg the rest of the week. That little change really dropped my tsh. They don't want me on to much thyroxine due to may cause heart palpatations/possible afib. So sorry for your fall and hope you start feeling better. And thyroxine has helped me but go at dosages in small amounts.

• Posted

valrae16152, thanks for details. 17 years ago, my family doctor had me taking 50mcg Thyroxine (two daily, so 100mcg per day) + 20mcg T3 Tertroxin. At the time, my constant Atrial Fibrillation + palpitations was undiagnosed.

laurence76206, strange your 5.6 to 8.7 TSH range does not warrant medicating, unless your body is good at making T4, perhaps? Thanks for interesting info that you go for months feeling OK, or not. Any chance this is due to supplements you take for other reasons - example vitamin D3? Good luck to you. Long may you remain in a feeling-good season.

• Posted

Hi LizUK,

My TSH ranges from 5.6 to 8.7 but the doctors tell me this is okay, just a little on the high side but doesn't warrant medication (usual response form UK doctors).  I did take thyroxine a few years back but it sent my heart into an irregular rythm so had to come off it.

I do go through periods of what I'd call typical underactive thyroid symptoms which can last for months but then I start to feel nearly normal again (as I do now).  I am not sure if people can suffer underactive thyroid for short periods at a time?

I do suffer with balance issues but was diagnosed with a vestibular problem 2 years ago (inner ear), but could this be due to my thryoid?

Anyway I hope you find some answers.

best wishes

Laurence

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.