palpitations missed beats

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, 

I have been noticing I am suffering with missed beats/palpitations since the return of my svt...

Some days they are constant and when I take my pulse it's like every 4th beat is a skipped beat! I am not in svt when this is happening, does anyone else suffer from this? And could it just be from the anxiety of it all?

Really Not Coping!!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I have palpitations/ missed beats also. I noticed I start having them about 4 years ago. I went to the ER when I first experienced the premature atrial contractions. The doctor explained to me that they aren't life threatening, but whenever I get them I feel awful. I also do have anxiety because of SVT and premature atrial contractions. Just recently, I had an SVT attack for 3 hours. I told my cardiologist that I am finally ready for an ablation. I am tired of feeling scared of when my svt will occur again. I am currently taking Flecainide and Digoxin. My heartrate is regular now, but once in awhile, my heart rate will reach 88 bpm and then I feel shortness of breath. I don't know if the meds are causing me to have anxiety. I should exercise, but I 'm afraid that I will feel lightheaded.

• Posted

I also experience skipped or extra beats....I will go through a good stretch with none at all ....and then they return...I used a monitor which determined that they are PAC's...my Dr was not concerned about them...but they sure do add to the stress of SVT.

• Posted

Had them last night for hours when it happens I can't sleep so over it to be honest I've learned more about svt from all you wonderful people then what I have from any doctor and it's seems allot of svt suffers have anxiety heart palpitations and irregular hearts beats

• Posted

Can I ask how do you cope when this happens it's all confusing is this to do with svt even though we're not in it at the time or is it anxiety

• Posted

I'm not sure why we experience skipped and extra beats...I wonder if since SVT is the electrical part of our heart, perhaps we are prone to electrical misfirings.

• Posted

Gillian, I apologize for such a delayed response, but I just returned home from visiiting   family.  I and many other SVT people experience these "missed" beats.  When I'm otherwise doing well with my SVT, they don't bother me much.  When my SVT is frequent, they bother me very badly.  I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that you, I, and many others experience more missing beats because of our anxiety over the missing beats.    

Try to continually remind yourself that for an otherwise healthy heart, they are not dangerous.  I recall watching a youtube a few months back done by a cardiologist making a strong case that for many people missing (or "extra"wink beats should be considered normal.  He was very convincing, so maybe you can try to find that one. Do take very good care of yourself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.