Pancreatitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had appendix which got ruptured. Doctors did not do surgery but treated conservatively. The pain subsidied for few days and came back. We took opinion from other doctors and all suggested for appendectomy. During my blood tests it was diagnosed that i had pancreatitis. Few days later (before the surgery) same blood tests were done and the results for pancreatitis were in range. I want to ask whether it is actually pancreatitis as some other doctor told me that it was due to infection caused by ruptured appendix. My CT Scan and utlrasound were normal and did not show any signs of pancreatitis. Please advise.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi !

Glad to hear you survived that ruptured appendix ! Can you explain a bit more how or why the original doctors didn't act immediately and remove the appendix ? Or, did they think it was just pancreatitis and didn't consider the appendix to be the problem. I know that the symptoms can be confused. But, obviously it's vital to make the distinction as a ruptured appendix is a very serious matter indeed and needs immediate treatment. 

In my case, my GP thought it was my appendix when I told him of my abdominal pains and had me sent to the hosptial right away where tests were carried out resulting in a diagnosis of acute pancreatitis.

But, to answer your question as far as my limited experience goes, I do know that pancreatitis has many causes, and I think one of them could very well be a ruptured appendix. The infection which ruptures the appendix would spread throughtout the abdominal cavitiy and inflame the pancreas. I might be wrong on this, but I doubt it. I do know that direct trauma to the pancreas, such as a football injury or car accident can cause pancreatitis as well as drinking too much alcohol etc.

Hopefully, your pancreas will heal up if it is indeed pancreatitis.

Regarding ultrasound scans in particular; again in my case, I was diagnosed last January 2016 with pancreatitis using a CT scan, but later  in March 2016 I had an ultrasound scan, which indicated that  my pancreas was normal. But, I still suffer from pain regularly. So, this confused my GP who thought that my  pain wasn't due to pancreatitis, so I had a colonoscopy done which was ok. So, it was back to square one, pancreatitis being held responsible.

Anyway, I hope you get well soon. {That expression ' treated conservatively' sounds a bit off the wall if you don't mind me saying so. It was a misdiagnosis ! I know a lot of people who might be talking to their solicitor in such a case.}

Good luck and good health,

Pete.       

• Posted

Hi Pete, thanks for ur reply... please note series of problem and the treatment i got...

I had pain in right lower abdomen so on 29 august ultrasound and x-ray were done and doctor said constipation.

30th august i had high fever.

2 september consulted GP. But fever did not come down till 6th September and was referred to a hospital where initially USG was done. A CT scan done and i was diagnosed with appendix and burst, got hospitalised

Discharged on 12 sept

Follow up visit on 16 sept. Everything was fine but again pain started on 21 sept

Again ct scan done and doctor said i was recovering.

I consulted couple of other doctors in different hospitals and everyone said that appendix should have been removed initially itself.

Again i wad asked to get admitted in another hospital where i took 2nd opinion on 27 sept. During my stay in the hospital different scans and tests were done. In the scanning it showed pancreas was fine but in blood test it came that that i had pancreatitis. All other reports were fine and doctor said surgery for appendix would be done after 3-4 weeks.

Discharged on 1oct

Follow up after 3 weeks with ct scan done

Admitted on 1nov for surgery. Tests were done and blood test for pancreatitis show results in range.

Operated on 2nov not laproscopic but open appendectomy.

I am not sure whether i actually had pancreatitis or was it due to infection of ruptured appendix.

With regards to drinking... I used to take beer and whisky but socially and not regular but it used to be 4-5 shots of around 60 ml or a couple of beers may be twice a month.... Not sure if this is called binge drinking.. doctor advised that i should never have alcohol again otherwise it could be serious for me...

Thanks

• Posted

Hi !

Thanks for that further explanation. I was always of the opinion that immediate action should be taken in the event of a ruptured appendix. But, it seem that I was wrong, and in some cases the infection can be removed first, by some sort of surgical procedure, preventing damage to other organs. Later the appendix is removed. This seems to be the case for yourself. Still, many doctors prefer immediate removal of the appendix, I read. 

I think from what you say, although I'm not a doctor obviously, that your pancreas may have been effected by the ruptured appendix, as the other doctors have said. Therefore, it would be advisable to take their advice and to avoid alcohol and follow a low fat diet to give your pancreas a chance to recover fully. You don't necessarily have to drink a lot of alcohol for it to effect your pancreas however. Some people are more sensitive to alcohol than others, but once your pancreas is inflamed it's necessary to avoid all alcohol.

From your experience and mine, it looks like ultrasound scans are not as accurate as CT scans.

Good luck and good health to you,

Pete.  

• Posted

My appendix ruptured when I was seven months pregnant and almost killed me and my unborn child. I had exploratory surgery which put me into labor and my son was born prematurely weighing 3 lbs. 7 oz. I was in the hospital for four weeks and he was in the hospital for five weeks. Then after I had him home for a week my doctor told me I had to go back in and have my appendix out as they couldn't find it I was so full of infection. So they took my appendix out and I seemed to be fine after that. Now 42 years later i'm having abdominal pain and digestive issues and was told that I had chronic pancreatitis. They seem to think I'm a big drinker but I really only drink a little bit. But now I'm wondering if the ruptured appendix could have caused my pancreas to go.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.