Pancreatitis and diabetes

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was admitted to hospital just over 6 months ago with severe acute pancreatitis. Stayed in hospital for 2 weeks. During my hospital stay my blood sugar levels were very high (between 18 and 24 mmo/l). Sugar levels never reduced after discharge from hospital so was eventually prescribed insulin to help. I'm still on insulin and starting to worry that I'll need to keep taking it. Originally I was told it was probably a short time measure. Has this happened to anyone else? What is the prospect of coming off insulin? I'm worried the need to stay on insulin means my pancreas has been permanently damaged as a result of the pancreatitis I suffered from last year. Any advice or sharing of knowledge would be warmly welcomed. Thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

Report / Delete

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi smick01,

?Usually if you have to keep taking insulin it means that some of the insulin producing cells in the pancreas have been damaged by the attack or that you don't have enough intact insulin producing cells left. However, don't loose hope the pancreas is a slow healer when it does heal.

?Hope this helps,

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Smick, 

The same thing happened to me.  I was in the hospital for pancreatitis and week later in the ER again for DKA. I am currently taking insulin as well after 3 months.  Have you been able to stop taking insulin?  What ahas the cause of your pancreatitis?

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up