Panic Attack?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

On Monday, i finally went to the GP and was diagnosed with depresion and anxiety. So I recently started placement at a residential home/care home which is a part of my six form health and social care course. Tuesday night I was really anxious about going the next day; it kind of built up and then I started hyperventilating of some sort; my heart was punding rapidly, I was breathing really hard and I couldn't stop crying.

Now when I think of going I get a weird knot in my stomach. I may not have liked the placement but I didn't hate it to the extent that I would ever start crying.

Is this normal?

- Sarah

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Ive had quite a few (what I'd call) panic attacks,but you seem to experience them in the same way as me,so they must be.I feel this is quite normal,and it's good you've been to the docs,have they given you anything for either?

• Posted

It is? I wasn't given anything because she deemed me somewhat young since i'm 17. My GP referred me to a therapist who she said is suppose to talk to me, and from there they'll decide if I need medication or only therapy.
  • Posted

With anxiety, everything is possible. But keep pushing forward to see a brighter future. Tell yourself I can do this because I'm looking for a stronger person. And Pray!
  • Posted

Have you had a lot of stress and worry in your life leading up to the diagnosis of depression and anxiety? Such as a bereavement in the family or some other kind of loss? Money worries, overburdened with work? You don't have to answer on here but it's worth thinking about what has brought you to the point where your body and nerves are obviously overworked. Are you eating properly and drinking plenty of fluids, especially water? Have you been getting enough rest recently? Even if sleeping is difficult trying listening to some relaxing music and breathing deeply and slowly. Your heartbeat will settle down to the tempo of the music. Most of us get a bit anxious about starting something new but your body is over reacting at the moment because your mind is tired with worry and stress.  

Because you had what seemed like  a scary experience the night before you went to your work placement your body  now switches onto alert every time you think about the place and you have a rush of adrenalin. This is why you feel tension in your stomach. Avoiding doing anything that makes you feel anxious will make matters worse in the long run. Anxiety never stops you doing anything, that is always your choice. The symptoms of anxiety are not pleasant but they will never harm you. Try not to be anxious about being anxious. " People who suffer with anxiety tend to avoid feelings and then blame it on a place or situation, suggesting it's that which causes anxiety. Lose your fear of the feeling and then every place or situation is the same." Quote from a book I read on anxiety" Has the GP given you medication to help you throught this? Try and live as normally as possible, go out with friends, make time for doing things you have enjoyed in the past even if you have to go through the motions without  really enjoying things at the moment.  At the same time take proper care of yourself as well. 

I wish you well and hope you begin to feel better soon. Good luck with the work placement.  I have been through in the past what you are going through now. I have finally learnt to look after myself properly and not to let anxiety be my master. Love E

• Posted

Enjoyed reading that post, there's a lot of wisdom in what you say to lebrokenarrow 😄
    • Posted

An incident has occured which I've come to understand may have triggered it?

I really appreciate the message and whilst I am taking a few days off to adjust to everything. I'll definitely still go to overcome it - even if it means forcing myself to go.

My GP hasn't given me any medication, because i'm 17 she wanted me to go to a therapist first and from there it would be decided if i required medication or just therapy.

This gives me hope, thank you.

• Posted

Time out is a really good idea. Rest and do something you enjoy if possible. Walking or some sort of exercise in moderation is helpful.  I take vitamin B every day which helps strengthen the nervous system. You have the right attitude towards achieving recovery. I was on medication, i then had counselling. When I moved to another area I had nine sessions of Cognitive Behavioural therapy(CBT) on the NHS. The therapist told me that my condition had been caused by over work and too much responsiblity. The therapy helped me to change my thinking habits. The effects take a while to build up so it takes a while to recover.  I had lived a manic life style for too long so it is taking me a long time to fully recover. I'm due to have orthopaedic surgery soon  so I'm having to live alongside a bit of anxiety at the moment. Anxiety is like a bully if you aren't afraid of him he has no power over you!

Best wishes. E  

• Posted

Oh yes definitely. Although, the entire i've felt very anxious for some reason and I'm unable to solely focus on anything in particular. I have no idea why though.
    • Posted

You feel anxious and unable to focus on anything in particular because you have the condition of anxiety.It is not an illness it is a condition. It usually comes on in three stages firstly "tired nerves" caused by long term stress and worry, then mental exhaustion where you cannot detach yourself from your thoughts and you become very concerned, immersed in how you feel. I'm still prone to this. The third stage is emotional exhaustion. This is the one that strips you of your confidence hence the panic over the work placement. You may not feel like doing anything. All this creeps up on you over a period of time so it won't disappear overnight. It's the body's way of telling you it is overworked.  Your body is waiting to recover. All these stages can be reversed. The key is not to worry about your symptoms, not easy I know. It is the worry that takes you further into the anxiety cycle. Try to keep yourself in a routine of getting up and dressed and focussing on simple tasks. Some people say mindfulness is good but I find it diffcult. That is concentrating on what you are doing at that moment and thinking about nothing else except that and the sounds around you. I hope that you have your talking therapy soon as you need to deal with whatever you believe is the root cause of where you are now and also look at whether there are things in your life that need changing such as sleeping, eating habits or spending too much time on the computer. The root cause of my anxiety is my job with demands beyond any human beings physical capability. I have been off work for six months now and have reached a stage where I can pass what i have learnt through it onto others. I know I will be off for another three months at least because as I said before i need surgery. When I go back and my employer desperately wants me back but on his terms, eighty hours work a week and no slacking, it is going to have to be on restricted hours imposed by the GP through the fit note. I can't leave because I'm an old granny and I only have two and a bit years left before I retire and my work pension is tied into this job and if i quit now it will affect my income dramatically when I retire. There are some things in life we cannot change. We just have to go forward, doing our best to enjoy each day of our life regardless of how we feel.

Best wishes E  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.