Panic attacks and wanting to get help

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have for many years suffered on and off with anxiety and panic attacks. They still don't get any easier. I haven't had one for a couple of years until Monday 24 the (its Saturday 30 today)

I've found this particular episode has on and off lasted for days. I've found they come on more likely during the night but can come anytime to be honest. There doesn't seem to be a route cause and I haven't been able to sleep for the past 4 nights now as I feel like its snowballed and I can't cope with it anymore as I feel upset I can't "pull myself together"

I went to GP Thursday and he's given me propranolol and I've through my own doing booked CBT but I keep getting worked up and things are snow balling and I can't help it.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Christina...I have suffered on and off with panic attacks my entire life, so I have a lot of experience.  I am 67 yrs. old now, so that is a lot of years of suffering.  I have a wonderful doctor, who manages to keep them under control, however, as far as going away for good, I don't think that will happen in my lifetime...I have found that by keeping frozen bottles of water around in your freezer at all times helps...Put the frozen water on the floor...take off shoes and roll your feet around the frozen bottle...Somehow, that throws your brain back into place...Also, a very cold, wet washcloth on your forehead helps, while drinking some warm milk or caffein free tea, or even warm water....If you have a full blown one, just do the best you can until it passes...Just keep saying to yourself, this is not dangerous, and it will be ok in just a few minutes....Hope this helps, sweetie....
  • Posted

Hi christina, I have just posted to Chloe1100. Have a look at the corresponence and posts thet have been sent to and from us. The post is on continuing anxiety. In Related information you can get download leaflets of selfhelp guidelines for anxiety. Deep Muscle Relaxation and Deep Consentrated Breathing Excersises. It is the first defence against anxiety and panic states. Then you can concentrate with finding the reasons for your anxieties and deal with them one by one only. Good luck. Oh if you don't have any success with Propranolol ask your GP for Atenolol. It works well and for longer periods. Peter.
  • Posted

Thank you Carole and Peter for your replies. It's nice to know that I am not alone x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.